General Pricing Guidance - how much below invoice

I've gotten some internet quotes on inventory Edge models and some general offers. It seems like the best "offers" have been to give me a price $300 below invoice before incentives. I'm looking at ordering a 2012 Limited with Driver Entry, Vision, Tow, and Navigation (or possibly a Limited with 302A + Tow).

Would $300 below invoice be good pricing on a 2012?

Should I be looking to negotiate differently based on what options I am adding or that I am not getting a base model?

What can I expect during "actual" negotiations, should I be ready for the sales rep to change his offer after I get in and get my trade-in appraised?

On a side note, I have no plans to tow but someday might want a trailer hitch for a bike rack. Is it worth it to get it now or should I just add it on later with an aftermarket hitch? I have no problem working on cars.

As a second side note, does anyone value the HID Headlamps? It's a given that I'm getting the DE, Vision, and Navigation, but I'm not sure it's worth $1538 for the Vista Roof + HID headlamps (the 301A package in addition to the other options) and then if I did that, I'm not sure it's worth $938 for the Adaptive Cruise (the 302A package in addition to the other options above the 301A).

Edited by nullreference

I don’t consider myself an expert car bargainer, but I recently bought a 2011 Edge Limited AWD with 301A package and platinum white paint.

I paid $300 under invoice – for what that’s worth. I did much better than my backup plan, which was the Ford X plan price.

The HIDs are great, although the oncoming traffic apparently doesn’t agree – occasionally I get flashed with high beams.

It illuminates the road very well and apparently the HID lamps last forever.

I’m not really a sun roof kinda guy, but the Vista roof is a lot different from the sun roofs I’ve had in the past.

It’s huge! I find myself using it a lot more than I expected. If nothing else, it may help later when trade-in time comes …perhaps.

I don’t consider myself an expert car bargainer, but I recently bought a 2011 Edge Limited AWD with 301A package and platinum white paint.

I paid $300 under invoice – for what that’s worth. I did much better than my backup plan, which was the Ford X plan price.

The HIDs are great, although the oncoming traffic apparently doesn’t agree – occasionally I get flashed with high beams.

It illuminates the road very well and apparently the HID lamps last forever.

I’m not really a sun roof kinda guy, but the Vista roof is a lot different from the sun roofs I’ve had in the past.

It’s huge! I find myself using it a lot more than I expected. If nothing else, it may help later when trade-in time comes …perhaps.

How much was the documentation fee? Did you have a trade-in?