2009 edge speakers/sub question

Hi,

I just bought a used 2009 ford edge sel and had some audio questions. Don't know much about the car yet, I believe it has 4 speakers stock and no subs?

Basically I am looking to replace the stock speakers with alpine type r's and put a type r subwoofer.

Questions:

1. What size speakers does the car already have?

2. Does the edge have tweeters? Or only 4 speakers and no tweeters? If it has no tweeters, guessing component speakers won't work?

3. For subwoofers, the type r's come in 2 ohms and 4 ohms, which is best? I believe it has something to do with the amp as well?

4. Do I need two amps? One for the speakers and one for the subs?

Sorry for the newbie questions, just seeking to understand. Thanks for any help.

Thanks.

1. What size speakers does the car already have?

They're known as 5x7/6x8.

2. Does the edge have tweeters? Or only 4 speakers and no tweeters? If it has no tweeters, guessing component speakers won't work?

The base system doesn't have separate tweeters. You can put them in yourself with components somewhere on the A pillar but that's a little more advanced for a newbie. The upgraded systems have built-in tweeters in the front corner of the front window near the outside mirror.

3. For subwoofers, the type r's come in 2 ohms and 4 ohms, which is best? I believe it has something to do with the amp as well?

2 ohms is better/louder, but your amp must be capable of supporting a 2 ohm speaker. All things being equal a 2 ohm amp and sub would be better.

4. Do I need two amps? One for the speakers and one for the subs?

Depends on how many channels the amp has.

They're known as 5x7/6x8.

The base system doesn't have separate tweeters. You can put them in yourself with components somewhere on the A pillar but that's a little more advanced for a newbie. The upgraded systems have built-in tweeters in the front corner of the front window near the outside mirror.

2 ohms is better/louder, but your amp must be capable of supporting a 2 ohm speaker. All things being equal a 2 ohm amp and sub would be better.

Depends on how many channels the amp has.

Thanks a lot for the help. A couple more questions. 5x7/6x8 means front 5x7 and back 6x8? Also, when you mention the "updated systems", are you referring to a stock updated system from ford or an aftermarket system?

The actual stock size is 6x8 front/rear however 99% of aftermarket are 5x7 with mounting tabs that will fit 6x8. I did 6.5" components and just made brackets for the tweeters to fit into the door location with the woofer. I would personaly look into that. you will get much better sound out of components.

As for the ohm load on the sub. 2 ohm are not louder. now if you put an 8ohm load on an amp that can handle a 4 ohm load then it will be. or a 4ohm on a 2ohm stable amp then the amp is only putting out half power. but if you do a 4ohm on a 4ohm amp it will be the same. your 2ohm stable amps (for subs) are going to be your "mono" amp. depending on how many subs you are going to run you will need about 400 watts rms to each sub. Dont pay any attention to the max power of the amp (most of the "flashy" sats will be the max power). You should match the RMS power of the amp to the RMS power to the sub. so in your case i believe the RMS of the sub is 500. Match the amp to that. Be aware of the cheap amps that say they are 1000 watts and their RMS are really only like 250. Customers of mine would always get pissed when they would have us install their pwn shop amps rated at 1000 watts and it barely moves a 10"

Sorry, I was oversimplifying the "louder" comment. I was referring to an amp that supports 2 or 4 ohms and using a 2 ohm sub versus a 4 ohm sub. With the 2 ohm sub you'll get almost double the power as stated above.

But don't put a 2 ohm sub on a 4 ohm or higher amp.

5x7 and 6x8 speakers are interchangeable. Most mfrs and retailers refer to them as 5x7/6x8 but some will show one or the other. Both are fine as are 5.25" or 6.5" component sets.

Sorry, I was oversimplifying the "louder" comment. I was referring to an amp that supports 2 or 4 ohms and using a 2 ohm sub versus a 4 ohm sub. With the 2 ohm sub you'll get almost double the power as stated above.

But don't put a 2 ohm sub on a 4 ohm or higher amp.

5x7 and 6x8 speakers are interchangeable. Most mfrs and retailers refer to them as 5x7/6x8 but some will show one or the other. Both are fine as are 5.25" or 6.5" component sets.

Thanks guys for all your help! This was all very helpful!

I've looked at your responses and this is what I was thinking:

Head unit: Pioneer avic x930bt

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X930BT

Speakers: 4 - Alpine spr 68

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/spr-68

Subwoofer: 2 12inch - Alpine swr 1223d

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-1223d

Amp: no idea? Any good suggestion for a good affordable amp to power all this? (alpine a little pricey)

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks!

Edited by Maluninja

I would hate to say it but with those subs you will need a have a powerful amp. in this case i dont think you can put affordable and good in the same sentenance.... If it was me (and this is my own opinion) i would do just 1 12" and then you could look into something like the JL XD series amps. they have a 600.1 that would power a single sub just greatly and they also have a 300.4 4 channel amp both are around the $350-400 mark. and both amps are really small. about 8.5 x 7 x 2"

yes you can power all 4 speakers and a sub. however you would loose the fading from front to rear. If you cont care about this then you can. if you do then your SOL. If the speakers were not the same size i would never sat to do this.

my setup consists of 6.5" components in the front doors, stock speakers in the rear doors, kenwood touch screen deck and 1 4 channel amp. my amp puts out 100 x 4. I have it so the fronts get the 100 each and the amp is bridgable so the rear channel is to the subs. this gives the subs about 400 watts (i have 2 12's so each sub is getting about 200 each)

I am partial to JL Audio. always have been always will be. I have had the same subs/amp/ components for about 9 (4 different vehicles) years and all play they way they did when i bought them.

Is there a reason why you are stuck on the alpine?? dont get me wrong, they are nice, but it sounds like you are willing to spend a little change. in this case splurge a little... go and check out some smaller "ma-pa" type audio stores (not your big box). you can hear the difference between the components and the 5x7.

The reason i dont amp my rear speakers is 1 they are factory, 2 they are there just for a little rear fill the deck power is plenty for them.

Before you do anything, you need to take into consideration what kind of bass you're aiming for. Everybody and their brother has opinions on setup. Baum knows what he's talking about. I've been doing this for years and the first thing I ask is what do you want. If you want your hair to vibrate, get ready to open your wallet a little more, if you just want a little more kick, it shouldn't be too bad. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...