2008 Edge Limited versus Explorer Limited

e-man

Hey guys and girls. I know this is a Ford Edge forum, so I'm pretty sure I know what the responses will be, but here goes it anyway.

I am entitled to a company car and can choose from any Ford product. I am between the Edge Limited and the Explorer Limited. Both cars will cost me the exact same upfront money and the same monthly payments (the latter of which covers gas, washes, insurance, maintenance, basically everything). My company buys the car and I lease it from my company for 4 years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first. So here's the question. Given that both will cost me exactly the same, from a pure financial perspective, I am having a hard time rationalizing the fact that I should choose the Edge over the Explorer even if the Edge fits me better because the Explorer Limited costs about $5,000 more than the Edge Limited.

How about some guidance? Thanks in advance.

e

Edited by e-man

We have the 2006 Explorer and it's our 4th Explorer since 1995. It has a tight smooth ride, quiet interior, and good power in either engine. It truely is the best Explorer ever. With that said I'd still lean to the Edge. I'll be replacing my Ford Five Hundred in 2 months with the 2008 Edge. My wifes drive the Explorer. I've driven the Edge several times. I love it nimbleness compared to the Explorer. It's easier to get in and out of compared to the Explorer. Access via the hatch is faster (cause the lift gate is smaller and lighter). It's easier to park because it's about 1 ft shorter than the Explorer. It really does have everything the Explorer does aside from the 3rd row seat. Plus it does get significantly better MPG than the Explorer. The vehicle may be free but do you have to pay for your own gas? The Edge will still get you more looks and comments from friends and strangers (if you like that sort of stuff). The second row seat will recline more the those in the Explorer. You can't get the BAMR (Big Ass Moon Roof) on the Explorer.

We have the 2006 Explorer and it's our 4th Explorer since 1995. It has a tight smooth ride, quiet interior, and good power in either engine. It truely is the best Explorer ever. With that said I'd still lean to the Edge. I'll be replacing my Ford Five Hundred in 2 months with the 2008 Edge. My wifes drive the Explorer. I've driven the Edge several times. I love it nimbleness compared to the Explorer. It's easier to get in and out of compared to the Explorer. Access via the hatch is faster (cause the lift gate is smaller and lighter). It's easier to park because it's about 1 ft shorter than the Explorer. It really does have everything the Explorer does aside from the 3rd row seat. Plus it does get significantly better MPG than the Explorer. The vehicle may be free but do you have to pay for your own gas? The Edge will still get you more looks and comments from friends and strangers (if you like that sort of stuff). The second row seat will recline more the those in the Explorer. You can't get the BAMR (Big Ass Moon Roof) on the Explorer.

Thanks for the reply. That helps a lot. The way the program works is that I pay X dollars up front, and then monthly payments of $335/month. That $335/month covers gas, car washes, insurance, maintenance, brakes, tires, everything. So, to answer your question, no, I don't have to pay for gas. If the car gets 20 mpg or 10 mpg, it makes no difference to me because I pay the same amount.

The nimbleness is the thing that attracts me to the Edge over the Explorer. My daily commute is 65 miles round trip and it's all highway miles. My concern with the Explorer is that it might not be so great on the highway (at least not compared to the Edge). Have you had the chance to drive the Edge on the highway? If so, how does it compare to your 2006 Explorer?

Thanks for the reply. That helps a lot. The way the program works is that I pay X dollars up front, and then monthly payments of $335/month. That $335/month covers gas, car washes, insurance, maintenance, brakes, tires, everything. So, to answer your question, no, I don't have to pay for gas. If the car gets 20 mpg or 10 mpg, it makes no difference to me because I pay the same amount.

The nimbleness is the thing that attracts me to the Edge over the Explorer. My daily commute is 65 miles round trip and it's all highway miles. My concern with the Explorer is that it might not be so great on the highway (at least not compared to the Edge). Have you had the chance to drive the Edge on the highway? If so, how does it compare to your 2006 Explorer?

I drove an Edge SEL for about 1200 miles on vacation from Ohio to the Smokey Mountains in Tenn., ~1000 highway miles. I can't speak for the Explorer, but the Edge handled great on the highway and had great passing power. If you've ever driven through the hills in West Virginia or Virginia then you know what it means to have good power. Going up and down the Smokey Mountains it handled pretty good there too. I have an F150 and I was literally shocked at how good the Edge handled and right now I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to get an 07 or 08. I wish they offered the dark blue on the 07.

If your unsure as to how it would do with your daily commute, try renting one for a week or weekend. My rental only cost me $258 for 10 days through Enterprise, it was money well spent.