Edge a/c; window glare; shifting noise

Hoping enough complaints regarding the front windshield glare will result in a recall/fix. On a sunny day its highly distracting and dangerous to drive due to the glare. Sunny days also mean heat and the a/c takes long time to cool the car down (I have the black leather int. and know this doesnt help!). Husband refuses to drive car - citing a safety hazard.

Also quite a bit of noise (whirring/moaning etc..) at various shift levels - usually around 40 mph and 60 mph... wondering if others are experiencing? Any remedies??

Thx

Hoping enough complaints regarding the front windshield glare will result in a recall/fix. On a sunny day its highly distracting and dangerous to drive due to the glare. Sunny days also mean heat and the a/c takes long time to cool the car down (I have the black leather int. and know this doesnt help!). Husband refuses to drive car - citing a safety hazard.

Also quite a bit of noise (whirring/moaning etc..) at various shift levels - usually around 40 mph and 60 mph... wondering if others are experiencing? Any remedies??

Thx

No issues at all on our Edge. We love it. We honestly have no problem at all with any glare. There are times when you're driving into the sun, but all cars have some glare.

I'd encourage you to take it in and have them address your complaints. Use that bumper to bumper warranty.

Good luck,

Steve

The reflection was anoying, before I spend a pretty buck on some excellent sunglasses (maui Jims), now the glare is completly gone, even though I have to wear them when the sun is not out. I once thought my a/c was the pits, untill I checked the Duel control, the passenger side was set at at 75 :wacko: now with it set at 60, my car cools down quite nice. But I do keep the BAMR shade closed on sunny days. As far as the noise in the tranny, I dont have that.

Edited by Janis

The reflection was anoying, before I spend a pretty buck on some excellent sunglasses (maui Jims), now the glare is completly gone, even though I have to wear them when the sun is not out. I once thought my a/c was the pits, untill I checked the Duel control, the passenger side was set at at 75 :wacko: now with it set at 60, my car cools down quite nice. But I do keep the BAMR shade closed on sunny days. As far as the noise in the tranny, I dont have that.

I ordered a mat for for the dash for mine. The glare is awful and I agree may be dangerous on sunny days. I'll let you know how it looks and works when it gets in.

I got one for mine. There's a pic in my gallery. It solved the problem. Although many don't like it. I do. Plus, I can throw something on the dash without it sliding off.

I'm wondering what some of you guys are talking about. Almost all vehicles have some sort of reflection of the dash on the windshield. However, when driving, your eyes are not supposed to be focused on the windshield but out on road. I really fail to see the 'safety' hazard.

If however you still feel its an issue, get a high quality fine polish and literally polish the inside and outside of your windshield. Let it sit out in the sun for a few hours. Then wipe with a microfiber towel both the inside and outside making sure all buffing streaks are gone. If necessary use a high quality glass cleaner to remove all remnants of polish. You will notice your windshield will be much clearer.

Regarding A/C, part of the problem is the Edge has rear seat vents. The extra plumbing reduces air speed (not fan speed) when the a/c is on. You're still getting the same cold air, but at lesser velocity due to the increase in interior vents. Ford should have designed a better impellor for the HVAC system but oh well.

As a side note: If your vehicle has been sitting for sometime in the hot sun. When you first get in, lower all windows. Turn the HVAC system to Dash Vents only and the A/C on. Be sure that the button for recycling the cabin air is off. Turn the fan to Max.

As you drive away, wait about 2 minutes and then switch the HVAC setting to Max A/C. Once you feel the increase in air speed and cooling, raise all windows. You've now just dropped the interior temperature of the vehicle by likely 30 to 40 degrees.

When a vehicle sits in the hot sun without shade, interior temps can reach 120+ degrees. If its only 90 outside, trying to get the a/c to bring the temp from 120 to 75 in 5 minutes is pretty much not gonna happen. However, letting the a/c cool 90 degree air to 75 in 5 minutes is more likely.

Make sense?

I'm wondering what some of you guys are talking about. Almost all vehicles have some sort of reflection of the dash on the windshield. However, when driving, your eyes are not supposed to be focused on the windshield but out on road. I really fail to see the 'safety' hazard.

If however you still feel its an issue, get a high quality fine polish and literally polish the inside and outside of your windshield. Let it sit out in the sun for a few hours. Then wipe with a microfiber towel both the inside and outside making sure all buffing streaks are gone. If necessary use a high quality glass cleaner to remove all remnants of polish. You will notice your windshield will be much clearer.

Regarding A/C, part of the problem is the Edge has rear seat vents. The extra plumbing reduces air speed (not fan speed) when the a/c is on. You're still getting the same cold air, but at lesser velocity due to the increase in interior vents. Ford should have designed a better impellor for the HVAC system but oh well.

As a side note: If your vehicle has been sitting for sometime in the hot sun. When you first get in, lower all windows. Turn the HVAC system to Dash Vents only and the A/C on. Be sure that the button for recycling the cabin air is off. Turn the fan to Max.

As you drive away, wait about 2 minutes and then switch the HVAC setting to Max A/C. Once you feel the increase in air speed and cooling, raise all windows. You've now just dropped the interior temperature of the vehicle by likely 30 to 40 degrees.

When a vehicle sits in the hot sun without shade, interior temps can reach 120+ degrees. If its only 90 outside, trying to get the a/c to bring the temp from 120 to 75 in 5 minutes is pretty much not gonna happen. However, letting the a/c cool 90 degree air to 75 in 5 minutes is more likely.

Make sense?

Excellent reply! Props to you!

I also read a post or two about not being able to get the cold air to blow in the driver's face. I noticed this too but when I raised to steering wheel to the "highest" position, the cold air blows directly in my face.

Almost all vehicles have some sort of reflection of the dash on the windshield. However, when driving, your eyes are not supposed to be focused on the windshield but out on road. I really fail to see the 'safety' hazard.

If however you still feel it's an issue, get a high quality fine polish and literally polish the inside and outside of your windshield. Let it sit out in the sun for a few hours. Then wipe with a microfiber towel both the inside and outside making sure all buffing streaks are gone. If necessary use a high quality glass cleaner to remove all remnants of polish. You will notice your windshield will be much clearer.

Do you own an Edge or have driven one with the Camel interior? I have the Five Hundred with the Camel dash and I can tell you the reflection is fierce on a sunny day when I'm not wearing my polarized sun glasses. Cleaning the windshield is missing the point. It all has to due with the color of the dash in combination with the angle the windshield is in relation to the dash.

It has nothing to do with what folks are choosing to focus on. For example, many Audio/Video enthusiasts tend to shy away from Plasma TVs since they use a high gloss reflective screen. While it works great for night time viewing, the day time viewing sucks because every light source in your room reflects off the screen thus washing out the image. The viewer is not making a conscious choice to look at the reflection nor can he make a conscious choice not to look at the reflection.

The problem is inherent in the angle. Just the right angle brings out the worst reflection. Those who think Ford can fix this sort of a complete redesign are mistaken. A darker dash will minimize the reflection significantly. The only other thing I think might could help is a Polarize windshield. However that might present two problems. 1) High cost 2) Strange affects looking thru polarized glass while already wearing polarized sun glasses.

Do you own an Edge or have driven one with the Camel interior? I have the Five Hundred with the Camel dash and I can tell you the reflection is fierce on a sunny day when I'm not wearing my polarized sun glasses. Cleaning the windshield is missing the point. It all has to due with the color of the dash in combination with the angle the windshield is in relation to the dash.

It has nothing to do with what folks are choosing to focus on. For example, many Audio/Video enthusiasts tend to shy away from Plasma TVs since they use a high gloss reflective screen. While it works great for night time viewing, the day time viewing sucks because every light source in your room reflects off the screen thus washing out the image. The viewer is not making a conscious choice to look at the reflection nor can he make a conscious choice not to look at the reflection.

The problem is inherent in the angle. Just the right angle brings out the worst reflection. Those who think Ford can fix this sort of a complete redesign are mistaken. A darker dash will minimize the reflection significantly. The only other thing I think might could help is a Polarize windshield. However that might present two problems. 1) High cost 2) Strange affects looking thru polarized glass while already wearing polarized sun glasses.

Charcoal. However I test drove two camel interiors and did not notice it.

Charcoal. However I test drove two camel interiors and did not notice it.

I have the Camel interior.

Maybe I'm strange but the reflection just doesn't bother me.

I can stare at the window and see the reflection but if I don't look for it, it isn't a factor.

Of course, I can't see those "image in the pictures of little dots" things either.

I have the Camel interior.

Maybe I'm strange but the reflection just doesn't bother me.

I can stare at the window and see the reflection but if I don't look for it, it isn't a factor.

Of course, I can't see those "image in the pictures of little dots" things either.

I don't notice the reflection when I am driving so far, however, I was wondering if a mat would help. Will be watching to see. I will say that our a/c didn't perform well and we took it in......they added a/c fluid, whatever I am not a mechanic......anyway, it was low from the factory. Works great now in 90 plus heat.........freezes me out! Just thought I would suggest getting it checked. We had to have new brake rotors right away too. It shuttered when we stopped...........perfect now. We still love our Edge........ :stats:

That's too bad you rhaving troubles.

So far so good with ours.

The AC is excellent even after sitting out and baking with the shades open and the charcoal interior. Mind you the seats were smoking at first but that is the same with our Monte. Leave the shade open and the black seats really heat up.

I just drop the window for a minute a bit and it cools right off.

I can see some glare but no worse thatn any other vehicle we have if not better.

Ours is charcoal inside so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Most of the complaints I've read are with the light interiors.

I also wonder if they changed something on the later ones to help.