Engine won't turn off!

SEL_Plus

Well, we had an interesting time last week. On Monday the Edge wouldn't start. All the lights were lit on the dash, but no ignition - the starter wouldn't even turn. I was pushing a bunch of buttons and finished with pushing the Homelink buttons on the mirror (we have that factory option mirror.) Lo and behold, turn the key and the engine started.

On Thursday my wife came home and the engine wouldn't shut off. She turned the ignition switch off, removed the key, shut the door, and the engine was still running. I messed with it to no avail. We took it to the dealer and they disconnected the battery to shut the engine off. They've had it since Thursday and of course can find nothing wrong.

Has anyone had this problem? I'd hate to get on the road somewhere and have the !@#$ thing act up again.

If I was going to bet money on the problem, it would either be in the ignition or a computer malfunction.

The thing that may seem a little weird is that they disconnected the battery to shut it off. On my '99 F250 you don't need a battery for it to run, only to start it. Now if you turn on the lights, a/c, etc. they may dim down a little, but the alternator should produce enough juice to keep everything running. So I am not sure how unhooking the battery did anything? But then again, 8 years newer in computer technology, who knows.

Those two items were my initial thoughts, too. The service manager told me they disconnected the battery to turn the engine off. I don't know if I believe that or not, although my '93 Mustang won't continue running if the battery is disconnected. Of course, disconnecting the battery wipes out the short-term computer codes....

Well, we picked it up this morning. They said they looked for codes before they disconnected the battery and found nothing. They started/stopped it for the past three days and found nothing. Their only comment was, "Did you get it wet?" Yeah - if I ran it through a lake the connections may have gotten wet.... Apparently there have been reports of electrical malfunctions related to excess moisture.

My wife came running to me when her's wouldn't turn off. Turned out she left the transmission in Drive.

She has a habit of using the Emergency brake to hold the vehicle in position before putting it in Park.

I'm assuming its some sort of lockout to not allow the vehicle to be turned off when the tranny's in Drive.

My wife came running to me when her's wouldn't turn off. Turned out she left the transmission in Drive.

She has a habit of using the Emergency brake to hold the vehicle in position before putting it in Park.

I'm assuming its some sort of lockout to not allow the vehicle to be turned off when the tranny's in Drive.

Except for the part about removing the key. You can't remove the key if it's still in Drive.

Except for the part about removing the key. You can't remove the key if it's still in Drive.

Yeah, in retrospect it was almost funny. She came walking into the den with the key held high saying, "The car won't turn off!" Hopefully it was a fluke and won't happen again. Otherwise someone's going to get an ear full.... :finger:

Those two items were my initial thoughts, too. The service manager told me they disconnected the battery to turn the engine off. I don't know if I believe that or not, although my '93 Mustang won't continue running if the battery is disconnected. Of course, disconnecting the battery wipes out the short-term computer codes....

If you disconnect the ground it should stop. Pulling the ground cuts the ignition. Otherwise, the alternator will keep it running if the positive is unhooked. Same thing as jumping a dead battery. Once its started, it will run. God knows you can't work on the new vehicles without a scan tool anymore. Bad key switch maybe....???...

I had a weird thing happen to me a couple weeks ago after a heavy rainstorm. When I started my Edge for the first time that next morning, the message centre said that the Compass Module needed to be checked. I started a new calibration and drove to work. When I came out later and started it again, everything was ok.

Hasnt happened again.

Edited by vino125

• 2 years later...

I had a weird thing happen to me a couple weeks ago after a heavy rainstorm. When I started my Edge for the first time that next morning, the message centre said that the Compass Module needed to be checked. I started a new calibration and drove to work. When I came out later and started it again, everything was ok.

Hasnt happened again.

what do you mean by you started a new calibration? My message center showed the same thing today.

what do you mean by you started a new calibration? My message center showed the same thing today.

Hi mustang. :D If you look at he last post previous to yours, you will see that it is dated almost three years ago.

Anyway, if you check your Owners Manual, you will find a section describing the functions of the Message Center and the Compass itself. There will be a recalibration procedure listed for the Compass function.. Follow that procedure and see if it solves your problem. If it does not, your next step would be to make a Service appointment to have the problem diagnosed and repaired.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug: