Chains, Cables and Flex trax

Sac AZN On the EDGE

Hi All,

I will be going on a trip to Yosemite soon and I found out that even if you have All Wheel Drive, Four Wheel Drive or snow tires, if chain controls are in effect there you MUST have chains/cables in your possession otherwise the Park Rangers will not allow you to travel through.

So my question for those in the know is this... what do you use or recommend for ocassional travel through snow & ice?

I don't want to pay more than ~$200 a pair if I can help it.

Does anyone have experience with or have knowledge about the Sno Claws by Flex-Trax? http://www.advancedtractionsystems.com/index.html

My tire size is P245/50/R20 and I know they have a model to fit (Sno Claw model # T-33-6-1 for ~$150).

Or maybe these: Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ435 http://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain-Company-SZ435-Pickups/dp/B000HZDFVY

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

~Sac Azn

Edited by Sac AZN On the EDGE

Wow.... no one has any thoughts on this? I can't believe that none of you on this forum doesn't have any experience with snow chains/tires that they can share here. I know from reading posts in this forum that many of you drive through snow... and I'm sure lots more snow than I'll be encountering anytime soon. My trip is in two weeks, your thoughts please!

Thanks

Have never used them, I've found real snow tires to be more than capable of making it through any Canadian winter (too many to count now LOL) that I've faced. Snow chains are old technology that went out years ago. Sorry, that's not much help I know, and for occasional use as the park wardens want, I guess they kinda make sense. Just that "part time snow" has nothing to do with our kind of winters, or for most who decide to go with dedicated snow tires to begin with :) .

Edited by Scorpio

Have never used them, I've found real snow tires to be more than capable of making it through any Canadian winter (too many to count now LOL) that I've faced. Snow chains are old technology that went out years ago. Sorry, that's not much help I know, and for occasional use as the park wardens want, I guess they kinda make sense. Just that "part time snow" has nothing to do with our kind of winters, or for most who decide to go with dedicated snow tires to begin with :) .

Thanks for your thoughts Scorpio. Buying snow tires is probably more work and cost than necessary for an occasional trip to (or through) the snow. Just curious, what snow tires do you use? Size?

Thanks!

Thanks for your thoughts Scorpio. Buying snow tires is probably more work and cost than necessary for an occasional trip to (or through) the snow. Just curious, what snow tires do you use? Size?

Thanks!

Went with a set of 235/65-17's (Michelin X - Ice) on a set of steel wheels, great snow traction and relatively quiet even for a winter tire.

• 3 years later...

I know this is old post, but to help others you can use SCC Super Z6 SZ435 or the Z-575 with no problems. There is plenty of clearance to fit them and the Z-575 don't touch the wheel if you're worried about scratching the wheels. I've driven a few hundred miles in Big Bear with them this season, and they work great with no problems.

Before anyone wants to bash me for using them, if you don't know they are required to even go up the mountain when anysnow or ice is present. Put them on the front by the way.