ford key programmer

Has anyone tried a key programmer? Ebay has some and I was interested in purchasing one and doing my car and others. No one wants to pay $165 for a key. I figured I can buy the key, get it cut and program it. Then rent the unit out for a resonable price and a deposit. Thoughts?

Which one? You don't program the key - the car learns each key. As long as you have two working keys you can add another one yourself without any help.

If this is a duplicator that clones the chip in an existing key that's not a good idea because if you lose a key you can't remove that one key from the vehicle programming without removing both of them.

I believe its the same tool a locksmith would use. Each car has a code for the key, and learns that key. I have one key, and want another. This tool pulls the code from the car odb port and lets you reprogram the keys to the car. A dealer or locksmith charges around $ 165 for this programming, key cut and key.

I believe its the same tool a locksmith would use. Each car has a code for the key, and learns that key. I have one key, and want another. This tool pulls the code from the car odb port and lets you reprogram the keys to the car. A dealer or locksmith charges around $ 165 for this programming, key cut and key.

You have it backwards. You don't program the keys to the car - the car learns the keys. Each key is unique and each key's code is added to the computer. You can wipe out the learned keys and learn new ones.

The tool you're describing simply clones an already learned key. It works but it's not the right solution. If you buy a 3rd key you can add it yourself and then if you lose one you can buy one anywhere, have it cut and add it to the car yourself.

Only a Ford dealer can program a new key to the car if you only have one key. Having a 3rd key gives you a backup and allows you to do all the programming yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

You have it backwards. You don't program the keys to the car - the car learns the keys. Each key is unique and each key's code is added to the computer. You can wipe out the learned keys and learn new ones.

The tool you're describing simply clones an already learned key. It works but it's not the right solution. If you buy a 3rd key you can add it yourself and then if you lose one you can buy one anywhere, have it cut and add it to the car yourself.

Only a Ford dealer can program a new key to the car if you only have one key. Having a 3rd key gives you a backup and allows you to do all the programming yourself.

Good idea.

I have my two factory keys and getting a third so if I lose one, I can still program sounds smart.

Where do I buy the third key? Then do I just have the key cut and then can program it ?

Thanks.

Good idea.

I have my two factory keys and getting a third so if I lose one, I can still program sounds smart.

Where do I buy the third key? Then do I just have the key cut and then can program it ?

Thanks.

Local or internet Ford dealer, Ebay, etc. Get the dealer, home depot or a locksmith to cut it to match and program it yourself.