2012 Edge Sport - Retro-Solutions 55W HID Installation

Well, I just finished the installation of my HIDs last night on my 2012 Edge Sport and they look fantastic!!! What a difference from the stock OEM halogen lamps!!! The install was not too difficult, but I did take my time and made sure I installed it as cleanly as possible. The tying up of the wiring was the longest task for me. I would get started zip tying the wiring one way then see a better way to do it and start all over again, but that's just my OCD kicking in. I wanted to just offer a few tips that might help those that are going to be installing this kit in the future. I'm not sure of how different the year makes and models are so if suggest something and it's not possible for your particular Edge, I apologize. I'm going off of what I experienced with my vehicle. So here are just a few tips and a couple of pictures that might help.

1. Remove the entire air box. It's easy. Take the top off. Remove the filter. Remove 3 screws, loosen the hose clamp, unplug the sensor and pull up on the box releasing it from the rubber grommets underneath. This will really open up the drivers side area where you will be working. I didn't really remove much on the passenger side and it's tight working in that area.

2. I took the advice of one of the other members from another post who suggested mounting the ballasts on the sides of the headlight enclosures where the OEM ballasts would be mounted. They fit nicely with a little bit of Dremel work, sanding down the lip on headlight enclosure side where the ballast plug and wire come from and also sanding down the 2 little nipples in the center of the mounting areas so that the ballasts would lay flush. Then I used industrial strength Velcro to mount them and secured them in by strapping it down with a couple rubber straps taken from Dell laptop power cords that you use to wrap up them up. Attached are some pictures that will help better show the install of the ballasts.

3. This may be an obvious one, but I would suggest getting all the kit hardware installed and all your connections made and go ahead and test the headlights to make sure they work before you do you final routing and securing of all the wiring. The reason I mentioned this is because I caught myself starting to route everything and realized I hadn't tried the headlights. I did try them and they worked like a charm from the get go, but it would suck to have to undo a bunch of stuff because you found out something wasn't working right.

4. Make sure that you reinstall the air box before you start zip-tying and routing the wires so that you route them around the box. After I finished tying all my wiring up and getting it the way I wanted it, I discovered that it was in the way of the air box. There is not a lot of room in there when everything is reinstalled.

Like I said, everything worked great right out of the box, but if I do start to experience any problems with the kit I will update this post. If anyone has any other questions, please let me know. I'll be glad to try to answer any other questions.

UPDATE: Well, I've had these HIDs on for about a year now and I've have been absolutely no problems at all. These things are great!!

post-20851-0-55568200-1328732934_thumb.jpg

post-20851-0-40994000-1328733106_thumb.jpg

post-20851-0-25297300-1328733276_thumb.jpg

Edited by raider396

Raider off the top of your head do you know the bolt/screw sizes for the OEM ballasts holes you used for your rubber strops? Or were they just plastic and you re-threaded them. Also the size of the hole to drill into the back of the caps?! Thanks

The OEM mounting points are not threaded, just drilled, so you can just use an appropriate screw to mount the straps.

I think I posted this elsewhere, but here's another easy way to mount the ballasts. Drill a hole through the top and bottom flanges of the OEM HID mount and slip a cable tie through it. Position the ballast and tighten the cable tie around it.

HIDBallastMount.jpg

Raider off the top of your head do you know the bolt/screw sizes for the OEM ballasts holes you used for your rubber strops? Or were they just plastic and you re-threaded them. Also the size of the hole to drill into the back of the caps?! Thanks

For the caps you will need to drill a 1" hole. The screws I used were from Lowes in the Automotive Screws section of Hardware. The size is #10 x 3/4". You could probably even use #10 x 1/2". And like Dr. Edge stated in his post, these are not threaded so there are a lot of options. I like the the ones I used because they were blak and had that built it washer/head. I hope this helps. Good luck with your install.

Thanks for the info gents! I have already used the dremel to get the balasts flush! Last question, where are you finding suitable grounds, for the life of me everyone I look for is not good enough or the screws are too big :banghead:

It all depends on how you route the wires. But I grounded 2 of the grouns underneath the airbox. I used a self tapping screw and went into the plate that the airbox sits on. and the third on over on the passengers side I put on the inside side wall by the windshield wiper fluid bottle. Used a self tapping crew there as well. Make sure you sand a small area off where the ground wire will meet the metal so you get a good connection.

Painstakingly went for the factory 5/16" ground screws below each headlight. The drivers side was much easier removing the air box, but the passenger side was a :censored: . Thanks everyone for the help, got the screws at lowes and also got 1/8" rubber sheet to cut strips similar to the Dell strips. Plan on using industrial strength velcro on the backs of the ballasts and strap them in just in case. Everything fired up great and the 5000k looks spot on with the LED bars. Did anyone else has a pain trying to align the bulbs? I compared the stock alignment to the bulbs that came with the kit and had the proper orientation, but man it was a lot harder then I expected. All in all great kit. :rockon:

Painstakingly went for the factory 5/16" ground screws below each headlight. The drivers side was much easier removing the air box, but the passenger side was a :censored: . Thanks everyone for the help, got the screws at lowes and also got 1/8" rubber sheet to cut strips similar to the Dell strips. Plan on using industrial strength velcro on the backs of the ballasts and strap them in just in case. Everything fired up great and the 5000k looks spot on with the LED bars. Did anyone else has a pain trying to align the bulbs? I compared the stock alignment to the bulbs that came with the kit and had the proper orientation, but man it was a lot harder then I expected. All in all great kit. :rockon:

Glad to here you got it all in and everything worked.

My HIDs lined up perfectly. On low, when you can see the very defined line across the top created by the flaps, it's perfectly level all the way across. And the light evenly distributed, left to right and top to bottom.

My HIDs lined up perfectly. On low, when you can see the very defined line across the top created by the flaps, it's perfectly level all the way across. And the light evenly distributed, left to right and top to bottom.

Sorry meant on the alignment of the bulb going into the holder in the back of the headlight. The actual alignment of the headlights on the road is great with a good cutoff.

I have a kit from Omini X that I have in my 2004 Nissan Pathfinder, and the come with all mounting hardware so it looks like a factory install. I've had them on my car for over 3 years now and have never had a problem with them. They are pricey but I think I will order those for my 2012 Edge Sport.

I have a kit from Omini X that I have in my 2004 Nissan Pathfinder, and the come with all mounting hardware so it looks like a factory install. I've had them on my car for over 3 years now and have never had a problem with them. They are pricey but I think I will order those for my 2012 Edge Sport.

Cool!! Stick with what worked for you. 3 years with "no" problems sounds like a good run for any aftermarket HIDs from what I've read. How "pricey" is the kit you're talking about, if you don't mind me asking?

If I remember right they were about $250 for the kit and had a two year warranty. They came with black plastic mounting brackets so they looked lime an OEM install. They are Japanese made HID's.

Do you guys know if the kit I need to get for a 2012 Edge Sport needs to be Bi-xenon? Cause I think I read somewhere that it uses a shutter for the high beam, or maybe that was for the limited.

Omni X makes a great HID kit, the link to their site is www.omnixautosports.com. I in no way work for them, in fact my family owns Active Autowerke the BMW tuning shop in Miami. This is going to be my first Ford I've ever owned.

Like I asked before I'm new to this car and don't know too much about it so I was hoping someone could help me with what bulb kit would work for a 2012 Edge Sport? Bi-Xenon or Single beam? Cause I don't know if this uses a shutter in it like the Limited.