Looking for a "concealed" hitch

I recently purchased a 2011 Limited. I will need to get a hitch for it since it did not come with the tow package. I am not looking to tow anything more then a bike rack. I am not sure I like the way the factory one sticks out of the rear bumper cover, but I also am not real big on the after markets that hang below it. Does anyone make one that hides behind the rear bumper cover. Kinda like the new Explorers and some of the GM models?? It would be great if there was a cover for it that blended into the bumer when the hitch isnt being used.

Has anyone ran across anything like this?

Thanks,

-Kirk

I had wanted something similar and ended up with a very visible hitch just because we couldn't stand the clunking. I still have the original one I bought that only had the 2" receiver visible and my plan was to modify it so normally you would see nothing. Do a search for Valley Hitch...there was a thread where a member cut it up and made it completely hidden. Problem is the older edges had stamped cans and the newer dual rolled cans interfere just a little. I have heard some newer models are coming with a single can so this might still be an option for you. I still have mine for sale but I think shipping to Ohio might be too expensive. Either way good luck.

I recently purchased a 2011 Limited. I will need to get a hitch for it since it did not come with the tow package. I am not looking to tow anything more then a bike rack. I am not sure I like the way the factory one sticks out of the rear bumper cover, but I also am not real big on the after markets that hang below it. Does anyone make one that hides behind the rear bumper cover. Kinda like the new Explorers and some of the GM models?? It would be great if there was a cover for it that blended into the bumer when the hitch isnt being used.

Has anyone ran across anything like this?

Thanks,

-Kirk

the factory hitch, IIRC, is not concealed completely but does require cutting the rear bumper and doesn't stick out too much. i know its not exactly what you're looking for, but in all honesty these vehicles were not purpose built for towing so the options are limited

In case you are interested...this is the thread to modify the Valley hitch: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/5058-receiver-hitch-project/

To be honest even without mods it wasn't bad but the clunking was an issue for us. Here is my listing for the hitch: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/8506-valley-hitch-practically-new/

If you are interested I could confirm the dimension between supports to see if it would clear your exhaust cans.

Thanks for the replies!

Is the factory hitch just a bolt on like the aftermarkets? I thought I read somthing crazy about removing the whole cover.......

And, the hitch you modified is awesome!! I can not weld though.......

I am leaning towards the OEM, if it just bolts on. Rather not have something hanging below the bumper that low.

Thanks for the replies!

Is the factory hitch just a bolt on like the aftermarkets? I thought I read somthing crazy about removing the whole cover.......

And, the hitch you modified is awesome!! I can not weld though.......

I am leaning towards the OEM, if it just bolts on. Rather not have something hanging below the bumper that low.

I actually didn't get to modify ours since it hit the exhaust cans. If you are interested in doing it though I am sure you can find a local shop that will do it.

As for it hanging below the bumper it barely clears the bumper cover so the only thing exposed is the 2" receiver part. Really doesn't hang low at all.

• Like 1