Wheel Size? 17, 18 and now 20 inch wheels

I ordered my new edge with 17 inch wheels figuring less rolling resistance is best. My Q to you engineers out there is why do we need a wider tire cause I assume the diameter stays the same or somebody has to correct the odometer readings. At least that's what I do when I change tire sizes on my road bikes (bicycles). More contact surface with the road more rolling resistance.

...My Q to you engineers out there is why do we need a wider tire cause I assume the diameter stays the same or somebody has to correct the odometer readings. At least that's what I do when I change tire sizes on my road bikes (bicycles). More contact surface with the road more rolling resistance.

I'm no engineer, but I can think of a couple reasons for wider tires. One is increased traction. Another is different appearance, and I think this is why most of us choose them. My barber just this afternoon asked me why I put aftermarket tires on all my vehicles. 'Becaue they look better' I told him. When I was searching for aftermarket tires, I specificaly excluded those with tread patterns similar to the boring-to-me ones of the original tires.

I too calculate carefully tire sizes so I don't change the diamter (more than a couple percent, which is how different the original 17- and 18-inch tires are in diameter). My choice is the 275/45-20, which is the same diameter as the original 245/60-18 (?), and here's my choice of tire and wheel.

GrabberASA1_600h.jpg

GrabberASA2_600h.jpg

I don't know, but I suspect that the increase in rolling resistance is so small to be effectively unmeasurable.

Edited by jeffreybehr

A larger diameter wheel with the same diameter tire should (in theory), have less sidewall flex... this would result in better handling, but at a less smooth ride (sidewall flex works sort of like a shock on bumps too).

Honestly though... it's for looks for most people.

Bryce

I have 275/45/20's on my Edge. You can check the gallery for the pics - one is taken from the back up close so you can see the width.

www.1010tires.com has a "Tire Size Calculator" that allows you to put in different sizes and compare them to each other.

The wider the tire, the better the grip; handling, etc.

But with the Edge, it's pretty much all about looks.