New tires...time for shocks?

jlineman

After 40,000 miles on my wife's 2008 Edge I replaced the Michelin Latitude HP tires with Michelin LTX_MS tires. I made my decision after reading reviews on Tire Rack and opinions form forum members, plus I had been pleased with them on a 2003 F-150 that I used to have. The thing I am wondering about now, is it time after 46,000 miles on the car to be looking into replacement shocks? A couple of things lead me to ask for help in this are...#1 I don't drive my wife's car much but was hoping the tires would ride softer. It seems that they hit the seams in the highway harder than I was expecting. I debated between the LTX-MS, the plain Latitude Tour and the Continental's. Yes, they are at correct PSI. #2..Used to be that you checked shocks by bouncing the front end up and down but frankly I don't know if that is still a way to check absent of any visible oil leaks. #3...I am not sure now If I haven't put the wrong tires on the Edge?

I sure could use some advise before I go to the tire store and discuss this with them. I want to go with some knowledge and hopefully not get smoke blown up my skirt! Lastly...IF...I get into struts and shock replacement, what would be a good brand, etc, etc to put on that would give me the best, as in a soft ride? Hopefully I'll here form someone who has "been there, done that" and what their results were.

Thanks for any help.

I can't imagine you needing new shocks unless you do a lot of rough terrain traveling. My '07 has 88k miles and I don't feel a need for shocks (99.5% smooth surfaces, with 0.5% gravel road shortcut occassionally).

As for the LTX-MS; that may be the wrong tire for the Edge; between my '95 F150 and a '97 Explorer I had a few sets of those; great tires on those trucks, but I think it may be to much of an LT where I think the Edge would feel more comfortable on a P or not-so-much-LT. The LTX is probably a heavier tire as well, so that could be contributing to your shock issue. Personally, I like the Toyo Open Country HT for the Edge (I have the Toyo Versado CUV right now but its too cushy for my driving style).

I can't imagine you needing new shocks unless you do a lot of rough terrain traveling. My '07 has 88k miles and I don't feel a need for shocks (99.5% smooth surfaces, with 0.5% gravel road shortcut occassionally).

As for the LTX-MS; that may be the wrong tire for the Edge; between my '95 F150 and a '97 Explorer I had a few sets of those; great tires on those trucks, but I think it may be to much of an LT where I think the Edge would feel more comfortable on a P or not-so-much-LT. The LTX is probably a heavier tire as well, so that could be contributing to your shock issue. Personally, I like the Toyo Open Country HT for the Edge (I have the Toyo Versado CUV right now but its too cushy for my driving style).