a few questions before possible purchase

air_odie

I am looking at getting an edge 6-9mos from now.

I looked at the 08' info packet and it seems for what I want a LIMITED AWD is my only option as I want both the prem package and seating one. I need to know what you think of the following:

-note this will be my first ford in 14 years so hope you can help.

1. I am forced to get the audiophile system and was wondering exactly how GOOD this would compare to say a pair of BA 60's on a jl 300.4 with a jl1000.1 on two 12's??? I am gonna assume that the stereo will be OK and the speakers good for two months max before they take there plunge. I listen to music loud and often switch genres and most of it is mp3's. my current deck is an eclipse 8550 fully moded...

2. Knowing most likely that the factory unit will not satisfy my needs, is there a way to either factory delete it or should I just try to outright sell it??? (ebay etc...)

3. If I go to an aftermarket setup what information will I lose??...ie AWD display? etc......

4. Has anyone hooked up a VIPER alarm yet?? I have one in my current vehicle and wondering whats involved in an install???

-I think my best course of action is to look to the non OEM navi/music units like the avic's or such....I noticed a few write-ups around on it.

5. For those with AWD like it? Is it a smooth system or????? what gas mileage are you getting? , for what type of driving and how many miles on vehicle???

6. Does anyone have any prices on the 08' stuff yet not just vehicle but options as well??

7. Has anyone come from a hi performance vehicle to this?? if so what are your thought??? I currently drive a 400hp truck (dodge Dakota r/t) need to move on from it though.....

------

I took a test ride on sat of a 07 FWD SEL plus and was not extremely impressed but of the vehicles I am looking at it feels the best...

Thanks for your help and time

JT

n

I am looking at getting an edge 6-9mos from now.

I looked at the 08' info packet and it seems for what I want a LIMITED AWD is my only option as I want both the prem package and seating one. I need to know what you think of the following:

-note this will be my first ford in 14 years so hope you can help.

1. I am forced to get the audiophile system and was wondering exactly how GOOD this would compare to say a pair of BA 60's on a jl 300.4 with a jl1000.1 on two 12's??? I am gonna assume that the stereo will be OK and the speakers good for two months max before they take there plunge. I listen to music loud and often switch genres and most of it is mp3's. my current deck is an eclipse 8550 fully moded...

2. Knowing most likely that the factory unit will not satisfy my needs, is there a way to either factory delete it or should I just try to outright sell it??? (ebay etc...)

3. If I go to an aftermarket setup what information will I lose??...ie AWD display? etc......

4. Has anyone hooked up a VIPER alarm yet?? I have one in my current vehicle and wondering whats involved in an install???

-I think my best course of action is to look to the non OEM navi/music units like the avic's or such....I noticed a few write-ups around on it.

5. For those with AWD like it? Is it a smooth system or????? what gas mileage are you getting? , for what type of driving and how many miles on vehicle???

6. Does anyone have any prices on the 08' stuff yet not just vehicle but options as well??

7. Has anyone come from a hi performance vehicle to this?? if so what are your thought??? I currently drive a 400hp truck (dodge Dakota r/t) need to move on from it though.....

------

I took a test ride on sat of a 07 FWD SEL plus and was not extremely impressed but of the vehicles I am looking at it feels the best...

Thanks for your help and time

JT

The OEM radio is connected to the onboard computer. If you remove it the steering wheel radio controls will no longer work. you will also lose SYNC.

I've had my Edge SEL+ for close to 6 months now....the Audiophile system, IMO, is excellent...I listen to Sirius constantly, the wife CDs...we are both pleased with the sound and quality of the system. We didn't get the nav system, as we are both quite adept at reading maps...didn't get the AWD system, either...I wanted to, but, the wife (who knew when you grew up and got married you'd be getting another mommy....) didn't want it...since she is driving it the majority of the time.......of course, going from a 400HP to a 265HP vehicle would have a difference....I think the Edge kicks ass.......remember, it weighs @ 4500 pounds....

Edited by 7

I can easily get a module to adapt the steering wheel controlds to work with the radio

I guess what I am wondering is what would I lose getting a non oem raido....I know it provides

awd info

axis to sync -most good aftermarket nav packages can bluetooth so no real big deal there

also the hvac controls, are those tied in with oem radio or seprate to its system? ( I am talking about the steering wheel ones )

from what I read it almost seems like the nav system is lacking most of what I am used to and the speakers would need a good update and a 90wt sub??? I run more in my 3 ways then that....

IS SYNC REMOVABLE??? I could sell all the factory stuff and that might be my way out......

As far as the huge loss of power, I get some of it back in gas saveing and the rest between my motorcycle and when I restore the trans am (next huge project)

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

I also had a dakota r/t 5.9L before I bought my EDGE. as you can guess the power difference is most noticable but now when i drive i don't feel like my

foot is on the trigger but if need the get up, the EDGE provides plenty. The ride is quiet so i did miss the roar of the 5.9 but like you said, it's time to

move on. I couldn't be happeir with my EDGE. I have the nav, sirius, dvd, and all that stuff and looking to add a bluetooth device, as for the stereo, im not into all that extra stuff anymore so im no help there.

good luck in your search and hope you enjoy your EDGE if you decide to go that way.