Premium v. Audiophile front ends; anyone know?

Are they the same or different? If the latter, in what ways?

My SEL+ came with the Premium system. I've already replaced the front-door speakers...

Leftclose_800w.jpg

...for a distinct reduction in edginess, and I'll be adding tweeters on the instrument panel, but does the frontend have more power or any other differences?

Also, if anyone has a take-out Audiophile-system subwoofer system they'd like to sell, pls e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net.

BTW these door panels are surprisingly easy to remove and reinstall. I'll post details if anyone wants.

yes please, im thinking about replacing the factory speakers on my SEL+ and details would help.

BTW, the speaker in the pic, is that the factory or the one you replaced it with?

The speaker pictured is the new one, a 6-1/2" driver developed about 10 years ago by Jeffrey Glowacki of Sonic Craft and used for years in the speaker systems they manufactured. The drivers are discontinued and SC is clearing them out at $10 each--but you have to buy a carton of 24! I've used MANY in the 3 front-channel speakers of my multichannel music system.

12Decfmlisteningpos_800w.jpg

28May07TVnewCCfmrt_700w.jpg

I've purchased about 2 cartons and have extras if you want to play with them; e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net if you interested at $11 each plus shipping.

The door panel is held on by 8 screws, 2 plastic lower locating pins, 2 metal upper locating pins, and NONE of those horrible metal clips so common decades ago--TY Ford!

1. Remove the switch panel that's part of the armrest by pulling it up; it comes off quite easily. Pull the connector and set aside the switch panel.

2. Use a small straight-blade screwdriver to pop off the about-1"-diameter round cover from the latch panel; a Torx-20 screwhead will be staring at you. Remove this screw.

3. Using a 7/32" socket or driver, remove the screw in the bottom of the hand-pull pocket.

4. Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the 6 screws at the front, rear, and bottom of the panel.

5. The panel should be somewhat loose now. Start pulling the panel off at its bottom. Work your fingers under each corner and pull sharply to pop the panel's corner locating pin out of its metal hole. Now do the other lower corner.

6. Carefully pull the panel off the doorframe while gently lifting it--it's hooked over the window molding at its top. Unplug the connectors to the switches, and BINGO...you have the doorpanel in your hands. The door will look a lot like this.

Leftdoor_800w.jpg

I don't remember which side is which on speaker-wiring polarity (the Ford drivers aren't marked...at least mine weren't), but on one side, the brown-striped wire is positive and on the other, the plain white. Of course you'll confirm that with a battery and a pair of jumpers.

NOW you get to decide what to do about those 37-cent speakers!

Are they the same or different? If the latter, in what ways?

My SEL+ came with the Premium system. I've already replaced the front-door speakers...

Leftclose_800w.jpg

...for a distinct reduction in edginess, and I'll be adding tweeters on the instrument panel, but does the frontend have more power or any other differences?

Also, if anyone has a take-out Audiophile-system subwoofer system they'd like to sell, pls e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net.

BTW these door panels are surprisingly easy to remove and reinstall. I'll post details if anyone wants.

The term premium may be a bit misleading . I believe that the case of premium vs audiophile, the premium system is the cheap one. Not certain, but it may not come with a sub.

That replacement woofer you used looks as though its designed for in home use. I'm thinking that surround will disintergrate very rapidly is AZ.

"The term premium may be a bit misleading . I believe that the case of premium vs audiophile, the premium system is the cheap one. Not certain, but it may not come with a sub." The Premium version is definitely lower in price than the Audiophile version and it does not include a subwoofer. I was asking about differences between the 2 frontends.

"That replacement woofer you used looks as though its designed for in home (sic) use. I'm thinking that surround will disintergrate (sic) very rapidly is (sic) AZ." The surround is rubber or a modern version of it and NOT foam, so it'll last at least as long as I do. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
The speaker pictured is the new one, a 6-1/2" driver developed about 10 years ago by Jeffrey Glowacki of Sonic Craft and used for years in the speaker systems they manufactured. The drivers are discontinued and SC is clearing them out at $10 each--but you have to buy a carton of 24! I've used MANY in the 3 front-channel speakers of my multichannel music system.

12Decfmlisteningpos_800w.jpg

28May07TVnewCCfmrt_700w.jpg

Sorry.. a little off topic but I just saw your "music system" and I have to change my underwear :rockon:

Once I purchase my 08 limited I will have all speakers, sub, and amp for sale...

man u need to finish those boxes in that liv-in room!

I got two 6' packed with a jl 15 jl 183 way, 2 concentric cones and 1 4 1/4 mid for my tv all amped on 2 1000.1 1 500.1 and a 240/3...it sounds great....do you have any digital processing on the channels?? crossovers??? man way to much for my taste but......

BTW

what is the door depth???for the speaker?