Sony stereo

On 2/12/2016 at 6:33 PM, 27Sport said:

Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. I cannot figure out the randomness of it changing back to Stereo.

One of the gripes I have.  Why does it keep randomly dropping out of "Surround" and headed to "Stereo"?

Anyone know a way to stop this?

1 hour ago, WxManChris said:

One of the gripes I have.  Why does it keep randomly dropping out of "Surround" and headed to "Stereo"?

At the bottom of page 1 and beginning of page 2 this same thing is mentioned.  I didn't check the whole thread so maybe someone came up with a solution. 

You don't have your profile filled in and there's no sig so I don't know the year of your Edge.  If it's equipped with MFT then maybe they all just did that.  If you have a '16 or later with Sync3 I've never seen that issue mentioned.  

BTW, if you're using a phone or audio player with your system there's one thing you 'can' do to make your system sound better.  Use the equalizer settings  of that device.  In most cases you'll have 8-plus channels to play with instead of the 3 offered in the car's system which you should just set flat.

?
34 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

At the bottom of page 1 and beginning of page 2 this same thing is mentioned.  I didn't check the whole thread so maybe someone came up with a solution. 

You don't have your profile filled in and there's no sig so I don't know the year of your Edge.  If it's equipped with MFT then maybe they all just did that.  If you have a '16 or later with Sync3 I've never seen that issue mentioned.  

BTW, if you're using a phone or audio player with your system there's one thing you 'can' do to make your system sound better.  Use the equalizer settings  of that device.  In most cases you'll have 8-plus channels to play with instead of the 3 offered in the car's system which you should just set flat.

Sorry about that.  Profile was filled out but disabled for people to see.  15 Ti with MFT.  I scanned the thread and didn't see a solution.  Really weird and it's seemingly random on when it switchs, but usually a daily/every two days I have to change it back.  Can tell the sound quality instantly.

Thanks for the tip about a connected player.  I'll remember that.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/29/2015 at 7:55 AM, aliledgy said:

Is anyone else not happy with the overall sound of the Sony system? If you are satisfied with it could you post your settings

Thanks,

I have a '14 Sport w/ the Sony 12 speaker system & the overall opinion is very suggestive.  One may think it's the greatest, while the next may find it complete garbage.  Overall, it's nothing to get excited about, but it's not terrible.  Compared to the stock B&O system on the newer Ford's, is very shameful in comparison.  

You can tweak the settings all you want, you're still working with the same speakers in the end. What you can do, that may help, is unplug the center channel speaker. It's a pointless speaker when it comes to audio, since audio is recorded in only 2 channels / sides.  Many report that they like the sound better after making this adjustment.  It can give the system a better "balance". Others will add polyfill to the factory sub enclosure and that seems to improve the overall sound also.  Once again, all very suggestive.

What will help, is upgrading speakers.  You will get the most bang for your buck by replacing the front doors & tweeters, then the rear doors.  Many, like myself, who have added aftermarket subs, upgraded mids, & amps for both, either don't run the rear pillars, center, and factory sub, or run all of them minus the factory sub through the factory amp, just to utilize what's already there and since they are very low powered compared to the other speakers, you don't notice any distortion and it's easier to simply not bypass them since the gain isn't very noticeable at all.

When upgrading your doors, do NOT replace them with another 6x8.  Replace them with a component set with a 6.5 driver!!! This will sound sooooo much better than a 6x8, which is a turd of a speaker. You can run just a 6.5 coaxial for the rear doors and by upgrading these 6 speakers, your overall SQ will be much better.  Now, if you want this to go to another level, add an aftermarket amp to these 6 speakers and you will have a live concert sound inside your vehicle! 

Take it another step and add a solo sub in a customer enclosure, tuned around 28-34 hz & all of your buddies will envy your system! 

Best of luck!! 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 8:14 PM, WxManChris said:

If you're talking about over-the-air reception,  surround requires a much better signal than regular radio. Perhaps its just dropping out of signal strength? These shark fin antenna's are questionable. I know they're base loaded, but just can't beat a 1/4 wave.

• 10 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, LTSRIDE said:

I have a '14 Sport w/ the Sony 12 speaker system & the overall opinion is very suggestive.  One may think it's the greatest, while the next may find it complete garbage.  Overall, it's nothing to get excited about, but it's not terrible.  Compared to the stock B&O system on the newer Ford's, is very shameful in comparison.  

You can tweak the settings all you want, you're still working with the same speakers in the end. What you can do, that may help, is unplug the center channel speaker. It's a pointless speaker when it comes to audio, since audio is recorded in only 2 channels / sides.  Many report that they like the sound better after making this adjustment.  It can give the system a better "balance". Others will add polyfill to the factory sub enclosure and that seems to improve the overall sound also.  Once again, all very suggestive.

What will help, is upgrading speakers.  You will get the most bang for your buck by replacing the front doors & tweeters, then the rear doors.  Many, like myself, who have added aftermarket subs, upgraded mids, & amps for both, either don't run the rear pillars, center, and factory sub, or run all of them minus the factory sub through the factory amp, just to utilize what's already there and since they are very low powered compared to the other speakers, you don't notice any distortion and it's easier to simply not bypass them since the gain isn't very noticeable at all.

When upgrading your doors, do NOT replace them with another 6x8.  Replace them with a component set with a 6.5 driver!!! This will sound sooooo much better than a 6x8, which is a turd of a speaker. You can run just a 6.5 coaxial for the rear doors and by upgrading these 6 speakers, your overall SQ will be much better.  Now, if you want this to go to another level, add an aftermarket amp to these 6 speakers and you will have a live concert sound inside your vehicle! 

Take it another step and add a solo sub in a customer enclosure, tuned around 28-34 hz & all of your buddies will envy your system! 

Best of luck!! 

I know this is an old post.......so many questions about this "premium" system though.  I just recently purchased a 2015 Sport with the Sony system.  I plan on replacing the doors with 6.5" like you suggest.  My question is about the aftermarket amp/sub.  Did you install yours by simply snipping the signal coming out from the Sony amp, adding a line level converter, and then running RCAs to the aftermarket amp/sub?  

I have gone to more than one shop and they all want to sell me on adding a new DSP module like the iDatalink Maestro AR mentioned in JScaro's post from 2018.  i personally don't see the point if the factory unit and Sony amp can perform the DSP function and then i can just add a couple of line converters and aftermarket amps to power everything.