Smartphone remote start - hazard lights and door locking?

OK, so apparently my other two cars I'm looking at behave a bit different.

1) The Hyundai's use Blue Link for smartphone remote start. Fine, but it requires that the vehicle be locked (can't remote start it if the doors aren't locked), AND while it's running, it flashes your hazard lights the entire time, which apparently causes all sorts of issues for people as they get phone calls from security and whatnot about their vehicle being parked without anyone in it and the hazard lights flashing. There's no way to disable this on the Hyundai short of using after-market remote starters.

2) Kia Sortento -- well it doesn't have this ability natively. It has remote start, but not via smart phone. Aftermarket required.

Sooo,

Does the Ford Edge require that all 4 doors be locked? And does it flash your hazards the entire time?

I know that the Cadillac's (SRX) doesn't flash the hazards, but apparently the Toyota's do the same as the Hyundai.

You must lock the doors before engaging remote start with the fob. Not sure if you have to do it with the app or if it does it automatically but it does have to be locked for security.

It does not flash the hazard lights.

Awesome, thank you!!!

I can understand the door locking bit (wouldn't want someone to drive your car off), and I'd assume the app would let you lock the doors (or auto-lock) and then start. But you never know how people program/develop these things.

LOL!

As an IT architect of 30 years, no truer words have been spoken.

Sometimes you just shake your head.......

Yeah, like MS deciding all of a sudden that the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of stuff no longer means CLOSE. It means OPEN now. The "new" outlook.com (old hotmail) behaves that way, and they (Microsoft) also implemented that "feature" in another software of theirs. Or the fact that Windows 10 changes the touchpad scrolling behavior to be the OPPOSITE of what it is. MS decided in Win 10 that if you have a touchpad, that you need to scroll UP (on the touchpad) in order to scroll DOWN in the app/window. But if you have a mouse with wheel, you still scroll down (wheel) to scroll down on the app/window. Yeah... Whoever thought up that bright idea needs a flogging. LOL!

Interesting conversation. Question. Wonder if it would be possible to use one of these wireless apps, get the perps VIN and take control of the car; start it up, open a window and crawl in, and drive away.

Possible? I'm sure. If a hacker wants it they can get something. Although I doubt someone that smart is also in the business of 30k auto theft lol. They wouldn't need to hack the app for VIN, it's quite visible on the car dash.

FWIW my wife has sync connect and to get into the screen that controls remote start, unlock you have a pin similar to an iPhone lock screen or the option to use fingerprint. Doubtful someone will go through all that trouble to try a stealth steal. At that point I'd think tried and true "give me your keys and no one gets hurt" would be less of a hassle. LOL

Edited by Tjm623