Cam Phaser

vanman

I have a 2008 MKX with check engine light of P0011 and P0016. I changed the camshaft position sensors which did not help, and I had another mechanic change the camshaft timing oil control valves which did not help. I took it to Bill Knight Lincoln in Tulsa and they indicated that it was the cam phasers and there is a TBS regarding this. This repair would be $2200 which I authorized. They have had the car for almost 4 weeks. Now they tell us that the timing is off more than what the phasers may be responsible for. They now want to change the timing belt, sprockets and guide for a total of $4200 but they are not even sure if that will fix the problem. The car has 70000 miles on it. I've had Blackstone engine oil analyzed regularly without any evidence of engine issues.

Any thoughts? I want to have the phasers changed and drive it and see what happens, but now they tell me they won't change the phasers unless all the other work gets done. And they want to charge me $1000 just to put it back together without the phasers being replaced.

Thanks,

Van

You have to pretty much take off the timing chains just to do the phasers, so the bill shouldn't be more than the 2200 + additional parts. 4200 is WAY too much. I think 2500 would be a competitive dealer price, especially if they already have it all apart. If not you should consider taking to an independent mechanic, since you are no longer under warranty, and have them do the work (or at least get an estimate).

Usually it is the solenoids that go bad, then the phasers, then the timing chain/water pump combo. If you do elect to get all this done, be sure to have the water pump changed out also, inexpensive part, but can lead to complete engine failure.