Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Overheated...A/C blower motor stopped working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hefitz

Hefitz

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Need advice. Daughter's 2010 Edge puked coolant on the parking garage floor where she works and of course started steaming. I figured a bad hose or maybe radiator. Had the car towed to the house. I could see nothing obvious so I filled the reservoir with water a cranked the car to get it to operating temp and again to see if there was an obvious leak.

While bringing car up to temp, thought I would turn on A/C to expedite the process. A/C compressor kicks on fine but blower motor does not work. Tried it in A/C and heat mode...nothing. Also noticed that when car got up to temp, neither radiator fan ever came on. The car ran for a good 30 minutes at operating temp without ever overheating or leaking anywhere. Both top and bottom hoses were hot.

Could an issue with the A/C blower not working cause the over heating? Are the radiator fans and the A/C blower some how interconnected to work together? I'm really puzzled and not sure where to start.

Any thoughts at all?

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Hefitz

Hefitz

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Pulled the blower motor under glove box. Had 12 v to motor tested on bench an ran good. Reassembled and blower is now working. However, neith radiator fan will come on. Even with the A/C on. Also compressor cycles. Engaged for 2 minutes and disengages for about 1.

Removed the radiator fan unit. Both work with 12V direct to each motor. Have about narrowed it down to the control module. Now shopping.

#3 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Stick with OEM for best results.  Dorman or TYC might also work, but watch for loose/reversed connections.  Also, don't throw away the old control module until you have the new setup working right, for a while.  Aftermarket modules can be ... unreliable ... sometimes.

• macbwt likes this

#4 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,549 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

2nd on using only Motorcraft. Others have been disappointed with the aftermarket units. To the point of pulling out them out and replacing with Motorcraft. Noise, vibration are two problems they reported.

#5 OFFLINE   Hefitz

Hefitz

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Got the new fan assembly installed and everything appears be working as it should.

The only mystery, to me, is...since this is a "sealed", pressurized, system, when the car puked coolant on the ground, where did it come from?? 

#6 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,549 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

One possibility you have the 3.5L engine, is water pump may be failing. Check your oil dipstick and see if any coolant has entered to oil. Oil with coolant in if looks milky, milkshake color. If so the water pump may be failing and needs to be fixed asap, have it towed. If not, have you lost any coolant? Is the reservoir low?

#7 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,585 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

It could of vented out the coolant reserve also but I would have the oil tested to detect any coolant in the oil.  If there is coolant in the oil. stop driving it and get the water pump replaced asap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users