Loose driver seat

• 1 month later...

My seat is still ok. Though it has not been that long since, but I just remembered that those who do get their seats repaired, to check the door sill plate, when replacing the seat track on my car apparently the technician(s) dropped the seat on the driver sill plate & got it all dented up. Good thing I noticed it before leaving & was able to get it replaced on their account. It is the aluminum part of the sill plate, and on the MKX it comes only with the complete sill trim, quite expensive. So take care when receiving your car from repair.

• Like 1

I bought my wife 2011 SEL back in April and we are having the same issue. The local dealer wants to charge me arm and a leg to get it fixed. It is getting really bad. I dont feel like i should have to pay since it seems to be a defect in the design of the track.

Since your out of warranty, you won't get anywhere except to repair it on your cost. What you could do, is keep the receipt & file a complaint. Maybe if a future recall or repair campaign comes up you'd be able to get a reimbursement. But looking at how (in)frequent this issue is compared to other things, it is unlikely that such a campaign will come.

If you want to try it yourself, here is the procedure from a 2007 FSM to give you an idea. May be different for 2011, so I'd recommend getting a DVD or PDF from EBay to be sure.

Seat Track
Special Tool(s)

Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS)
software with appropriate hardware, or equivalent scan tool

Removal

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an airbag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the restraints control module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: To install a new occupant classification module or an occupant classification sensor (OCS) weight sensor bolt, refer to the appropriate procedure in Section 501-20B .

All seats

1. Position the seat to access all the seat track-to-floor bolts and the safety belt retractor belt anchor nut.
  1. Depower the SRS. For additional information, refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in the General Procedures portion of Section 501-20B .
  1. Remove the front seat. For additional information, refer to Seat — Front .
  1. Remove the front seat backrest. For additional information, refer to Seat Backrest — Front .
  1. Separate the seat wire harness main feed electrical connector(s) from the seat track brackets.
  1. Disconnect the safety belt buckle pretensioner and safety belt buckle switch electrical connectors. Separate any retainers holding the wire harness or electrical connectors to the seat track and safety belt buckle and pretensioner.
  1. Disconnect all the seat track motor electrical connectors and separate any retainers holding the wire harness or electrical connectors to the seat track (if equipped).

Driver seat

1. Disconnect the seat track position sensor and separate any retainers holding the wire harness or electrical connectors to the seat track.
  1. Disconnect the driver seat module (DSM) electrical connectors and separate any retainers holding the wire harness to the seat track (if equipped).

Passenger seat with manual seat track

1. NOTE: Rear inboard occupant classification sensor (OCS) weight sensor bolt protection bracket shown, others similar.

Separate the wire harness from the OCS weight sensor bolt protection brackets, remove the 4 OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket screws and remove the 4 OCS weight sensor bolt protection brackets.

Passenger seat with power seat track

1. Remove the cushion side shield in the following sequence.
    1. If equipped with manual recline, release the clip and remove the manual recline handle.
    1. NOTE: Release the tension on the manual lumbar cable before removing the manual lumbar handle.

If equipped with manual lumbar, release the 2 clips on the back of the manual lumbar handle then pull and remove the manual lumbar handle.
    1. Remove the cushion side shield screw(s).
    1. Slide the cushion side shield up in the rear to release the retainer.
    1. Slide the cushion side shield forward to disengage the retainer.
    1. Disconnect the seat control switch electrical connector.
      • Remove the cushion side shield.
  1. Separate the wire harness from the outboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket, remove the 2 outboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket screws and remove the outboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket.
  1. Separate the wire harness from the inboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket, remove the inboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket screw and the inboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket.

Passenger seat

1. Mark the 4 OCS weight sensor bolt electrical connectors so that they can be reconnected in their same location at installation.
  1. Disconnect the 4 OCS weight sensor bolt electrical connectors and detach any wire harness retainers to the seat track.
  1. Disconnect the occupant classification module and detach any wire harness retainers to the seat track.

1. Disconnect the heated seat module electrical connector and detach any wire harness retainers to the seat track (if equipped).
  1. Disconnect the climate control seat module (CCSM) electrical connectors and detach any wire harness retainers to the seat track (if equipped).

All seats

1. Separate any retainers holding the seat wire harness or electrical connectors to the seat track.
  1. Remove the 4 seat track-to-cushion frame bolts and remove the seat track.

All passenger seats

1. To install a new occupant classification module or an OCS weight sensor bolt, refer to the appropriate procedure in Section 501-20B .

Installation

Power seat tracks

1. Position the cushion frame-to-seat track rear brackets to the power seat track rear cross tube.
    • Make sure the locator tabs of the cushion frame-to-seat track rear brackets are aligned correctly to the cushion frame.

Passenger seat with fold flat backrest

1. Make sure the fold flat recliner cable is routed correctly between the power seat track cross tube and cushion frame.

All seat tracks

1. Install the 4 cushion frame-to-seat track bolts.
    • Tighten to 23 Nm (17 lb-ft).

All passenger seats

1. For correct front passenger seat cushion wire harness routing, refer to Seat Wire Harness Routing — Front Passenger Cushion in this section.
  1. Connect the 4 OCS weight sensor bolt electrical connectors, as marked during removal and attach any retainers holding the wire harness to the seat track.
  1. Connect the occupant classification module and attach any wire harness retainers to the seat track.

1. Position the inboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket to the seat track, install the inboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket screw and attach the wire harness to the inboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket.
    • Tighten to 2 Nm (18 lb-in).
  1. Position the outboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket to the seat track, install the 2 outboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket screws and attach the wire harness to the outboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket.
    • Tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. Install the cushion side shield in the following sequence.
    1. Position the side shield to the seat and connect the seat control switch electrical connector.
    1. Slide the cushion side shield rearward to engage the cushion side shield retainer to the seat track bracket.
    1. Slide the cushion side shield down in the rear to engage the retainer.
    1. Install the cushion side shield screw(s).
    1. Install the manual lumbar handle (if equipped).
    1. Position the clip on the manual recline handle and install the manual recline handle (if equipped).
  1. Connect the heated seat module electrical connector and attach any retainers holding the wire harness to the seat track (if equipped).
  1. Connect the CCSM electrical connectors and attach any retainers holding the wire harness to the seat track (if equipped).

Passenger seat with manual seat track

1. NOTE: Rear inboard OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket shown, others similar.

Position each of the 4 OCS weight sensor bolt protection brackets, install the 4 OCS weight sensor bolt protection bracket screws and attach the wire harness to the OCS weight sensor bolt protection brackets.
    • Tighten the front OCS weight sensor bolt protection brackets to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).
    • Tighten the rear OCS weight sensor bolt protection brackets to 2 Nm (18 lb-in).

Driver seat

1. Connect the DSM electrical connectors and attach any retainers holding the wire harness to the seat track (if equipped).
  1. Connect the seat track position sensor and attach any retainers holding the wire harness or electrical connectors to the seat track.

All seats

1. Connect all the seat track motor electrical connectors and attach any retainers holding the wire harness or electrical connectors to the seat track (if equipped).
  1. Connect the safety belt buckle pretensioner and safety belt buckle switch electrical connectors. Attach any retainers holding the wire harness or electrical connectors to the seat track.
  1. Attach the seat wire harness main feed in electrical connector(s) to the seat track brackets.
  1. Install the front seat backrest. For additional information, refer to Seat Backrest — Front .
  1. Install the front seat and repower the SRS. If a passenger seat has been serviced, do not prove out the SRS at this time. For additional information, refer to Seat — Front in this section.

Passenger seat with existing seat track

1. Carry out the Occupant Classification Sensor (OCS) System Zero Seat Weight Test and prove out the SRS. For additional information, refer to the General Procedures portion of Section 501-20B .

Passenger seat with new seat track, OCS module or OCS weight sensor bolt

1. Carry out the Occupant Classification Sensor (OCS) System Reset and prove out the SRS. For additional information, refer to the General Procedures portion of Section 501-20B .

Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering

Depowering Procedure

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Failure to follow this instruction may result in air bag deployment, which may result in serious personal injury.

WARNING: Never probe the electrical connector on a side air curtain module. Failure to follow this instruction may result in side air curtain module deployment.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: The air bag warning indicator illuminates when the restraints control module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraints system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The supplemental restraints system (SRS) must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  1. At the smart power distribution junction box (SPDJB), located in the LH lower kick panel, remove the lower kick panel fuse cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse 46 (7.5A) from the (SPDJB). For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
  1. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag warning indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag warning indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag warning indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  1. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or installing any new front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, installing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

The front impact severity sensors are located on the radiator support under the front bumper cover.

The first row side impact sensors are located at or near the base of the B-pillars.

The second row side impact sensors are located on the C-pillars.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

Repowering Procedure

1. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.
  1. Install RCM fuse 46 (7.5A) to the SPDJB and install the lower kick panel fuse cover.
  1. WARNING: Be sure that nobody is in the vehicle and that there is nothing blocking or set in front of any air bag module when the battery ground cable is connected. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

Connect the battery ground cable.
  1. Prove out the SRS as follows:
    Turn the ignition switch from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the ignition switch back to ON and visually monitor the air bag warning indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag warning indicator will light continuously for approximately 6 seconds and then turn OFF. If an air bag SRS fault is present, the air bag warning indicator will:
    — fail to light.
    — remain lit continuously.
    — flash at a 5 Hz rate (RCM not configured).
    The air bag warning indicator might not light until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the RCM to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag warning indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime will sound in a pattern of 5 sets of 5 beeps. If this occurs, the air bag warning indicator and any SRS fault discovered must be diagnosed and repaired.
    Clear all continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) from the RCM and occupant classification sensor (OCS) module using a scan tool.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow. Are you kidding 780 dollars !!! I bought mine at a different dealer not through ford. And bought a warranty too. When I got it the backup camera never worked. They sent that to ford to replace, works now which is great b UT I told them about the clicking with the seats and they said we don't know what your talking about.

Really idiots. So I got passed told them to just tell ford to look at it when they sent it there for the camera that they will know what I'm talking about since it's a fairly common problem.

Do you know these bastards put b it on the work order but no one at Ford bothered to look at it. So the dealership I bought it from said they'll look at it when ford returns the truck.

What exactly would they look at ??? When I told them about it they basically told me I'm a liar and it's something making noise in my glove box......

They seemed not to like when I asked them if they think I'm a fucking idiot. ( LOL )

So now they want me to take it to them and take them for a ride in it and point out what I'm talking about.

SO FRUSTRATING!!!! I'm going back this weekend and taking one of their winners for a ride so they can hear what I hear. Ford can pound sand for wanting 780 dollars ! Crazy.

• 1 year later...

2010 Edge

Driver Seat

Initially, the driver seat rocked when braking.

Now, the power seat moves, when I am driving the power seat will go into the reclining position. Being tall I usually sit at the lowest level.

During the rocking state, I took the Edge to the dealer for normal maintenance and asked about the seat rocking. The shop informed me that to tighten the seat up, it was going to cost me $500+. I thought I could put up with a little rocking for $500.

Now that the power seat moves where ever it wants, maybe I need a new mechanism.

Not sure on the cost now, but I should probably fix before the seat tries to jam my head into the ceiling.

Any thoughts,

Bev