White particles coming out of vents

jamessm

Has anyone noticed white particles blowing out of the vents when you start the vehicle. I believe it is coming from the A/C but Ford has looked at and repaired five times and cannot find the problem.

You've had the system repaired five times so now it's blowing ice crystals!

• 1 month later...
Has anyone noticed white particles blowing out of the vents when you start the vehicle. I believe it is coming from the A/C but Ford has looked at and repaired five times and cannot find the problem.

Did you ever get it fixed at some point? I have noticed lately that white particles are blowing out of my vents too. I noticed it after getting my edge back from the shop (dealer) for a different issue. It is really annoying because the white particles make a pretty big mess. And I noticed today it blows out of the rear vents as well. I'm going to make an appointment within the next week to try to get it fixed.

My 07 MKX does it & has since new. I asked the dealer to check when it was in for the transmission banging into gear. they claim they couldn't see it, even though it does it every time I start the car. It collects all over the face of the radio & the middle of the back seat. I wear contacts & have to turn my head away till the dust settles or the grit gets in my eyes. I just replaced the cabin filter again about a month ago. This may be material from the filter itself, since it seems to be worst after replacing the filter. I've never seen this on any car I've ever owned. I have a 40 year old car as well & no dust comes out when the A/C starts & trust me, the 40 year old one puts out far more volume then the MKX does.

Here is TSB t hat might assist you. Access is a powerful thing, Knowledge helps as well.

TSB 08-26-6

01/05/09

WHITE FLAKES COMING FROM NC VENTS

FORD:

2002-2005 Crown Victoria

2005 Focus

2000-2005 Expedition, F-150

2007-2009 Edge

LINCOLN:

2000-2002 Town Car

2000-2005 Navigator

2007-2009 MKX

MERCURY:

2002-2005 Grand Marquis

This article supersedes TSB 05-10-11 to update the vehicle lines covered.

ISSUE

Some vehicles may experience white flakes coming from the A/C vents when the blower motor is engaged. This may be caused by flux utilized in the manufacturing process of the evaporator core.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using compressed air 90-150 PSI (620-1034 kPa), clean the A/C ducts through the registers and blow off the evaporator core through the blower motor opening.

NOTE THE ENTIRE EVAPORATOR CORE SURFACE MUST BE DRY FOR BEST RESULTS.

NOTE WHILE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE AND SELECTING DIFFERENT VENT MODES SUCH AS FLOOR / PANEL AND FLOOR / DEFROST, IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO TEMPORARILY START THE ENGINE TO ENABLE MODE DOOR MOVEMENT.

Clean A/C Ducts:

1. Remove floor duct trim.

2. Using masking tape, connect one end of the vacuum cleaner hose to the floor duct on driver side.

3. Tape closed all the other floor duct openings.

4. Obtain about two feet of rubber vacuum line large enough to fit the end of a small shop air blowgun. Secure the hose to the end of the blowgun using a worm clamp.

5. Close all instrument panel registers.

6. Set temperature setting to full cold.

7. Place mode in floor / panel.

8. Turn on vacuum cleaner.

9. Working with one register at a time insert the vacuum line down each duct and blow shop air through each duct for 30 seconds. Be sure to close each register before moving on to the next register.

10. Change mode to floor / defrost.

11. Blow down each defroster duct for 30 seconds.

12. Alternate mode door between floor and floor / defrost three (3) times, giving the door time to move between each change.

13. Turn off vacuum cleaner.

Clean Evaporator Core:

1. Change mode to full floor.

2. Ensure temperature is full cold.

3. Remove blower motor per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-02.

4. Turn on vacuum cleaner.

5. Reach into blower opening with vacuum line and proceed to blow shop air for a minimum of 5 minutes, utilizing a very slow sweeping action.

6. Blow the entire core face in the up and down direction, then repeat moving from side to side.

NOTE ATTENTION TO THE BLOW-OFF OF THE EVAPORATOR CORE SURFACE WILL DETERMINE EFFECTIVENESS OF REPAIR.

7. Install the blower motor per WSM, Section 412-2.

8. Open all registers.

9. Operate the system with A/C on and blower on Max in each mode setting with the temperature full cold and then full warm. Be sure to stay in each mode position for at least 30 seconds to ensure removal of any residual flakes I dust.

10. Disconnect vacuum cleaner and remove tape from floor duct.

11. Assemble floor duct trim.

12. Blow powder off or vacuum dash board and vehicle interior as required.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Here is TSB t hat might assist you. Access is a powerful thing, Knowledge helps as well.

TSB 08-26-6

01/05/09

WHITE FLAKES COMING FROM NC VENTS

FORD:

2002-2005 Crown Victoria

2005 Focus

2000-2005 Expedition, F-150

2007-2009 Edge

LINCOLN:

2000-2002 Town Car

2000-2005 Navigator

2007-2009 MKX

MERCURY:

2002-2005 Grand Marquis

This article supersedes TSB 05-10-11 to update the vehicle lines covered.

ISSUE

Some vehicles may experience white flakes coming from the A/C vents when the blower motor is engaged. This may be caused by flux utilized in the manufacturing process of the evaporator core.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using compressed air 90-150 PSI (620-1034 kPa), clean the A/C ducts through the registers and blow off the evaporator core through the blower motor opening.

NOTE THE ENTIRE EVAPORATOR CORE SURFACE MUST BE DRY FOR BEST RESULTS.

NOTE WHILE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE AND SELECTING DIFFERENT VENT MODES SUCH AS FLOOR / PANEL AND FLOOR / DEFROST, IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO TEMPORARILY START THE ENGINE TO ENABLE MODE DOOR MOVEMENT.

Clean A/C Ducts:

1. Remove floor duct trim.

2. Using masking tape, connect one end of the vacuum cleaner hose to the floor duct on driver side.

3. Tape closed all the other floor duct openings.

4. Obtain about two feet of rubber vacuum line large enough to fit the end of a small shop air blowgun. Secure the hose to the end of the blowgun using a worm clamp.

5. Close all instrument panel registers.

6. Set temperature setting to full cold.

7. Place mode in floor / panel.

8. Turn on vacuum cleaner.

9. Working with one register at a time insert the vacuum line down each duct and blow shop air through each duct for 30 seconds. Be sure to close each register before moving on to the next register.

10. Change mode to floor / defrost.

11. Blow down each defroster duct for 30 seconds.

12. Alternate mode door between floor and floor / defrost three (3) times, giving the door time to move between each change.

13. Turn off vacuum cleaner.

Clean Evaporator Core:

1. Change mode to full floor.

2. Ensure temperature is full cold.

3. Remove blower motor per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-02.

4. Turn on vacuum cleaner.

5. Reach into blower opening with vacuum line and proceed to blow shop air for a minimum of 5 minutes, utilizing a very slow sweeping action.

6. Blow the entire core face in the up and down direction, then repeat moving from side to side.

NOTE ATTENTION TO THE BLOW-OFF OF THE EVAPORATOR CORE SURFACE WILL DETERMINE EFFECTIVENESS OF REPAIR.

7. Install the blower motor per WSM, Section 412-2.

8. Open all registers.

9. Operate the system with A/C on and blower on Max in each mode setting with the temperature full cold and then full warm. Be sure to stay in each mode position for at least 30 seconds to ensure removal of any residual flakes I dust.

10. Disconnect vacuum cleaner and remove tape from floor duct.

11. Assemble floor duct trim.

12. Blow powder off or vacuum dash board and vehicle interior as required.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Wow; Sounds like a lot of work. Thanks for the info. I'll give my dealership a call.

• 1 year later...

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply.

This sounds like a solution for my problem with the occasional white particle storm out of my air vents.

I will perform this procedure on the weekend.

However, ..

This is basically a "cleaning" procedure.

Any idea how to get rid of the cause in order to prevent this from happening again?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply.

This sounds like a solution for my problem with the occasional white particle storm out of my air vents.

I will perform this procedure on the weekend.

However, ..

This is basically a "cleaning" procedure.

Any idea how to get rid of the cause in order to prevent this from happening again?

I've had an on-going battle with my 07 Edge's A/C and transmission. White flakes included. It is BACK in the dealership again. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty. THIS time they said they are going to replace the condenser. Because they aleady did this TSB a year ago. This is on top of the fifty million other things that were supposed to fix the problems. I'd like to just park the flipping thing there and leave it.