How quiet is edge?

Planning to buy one, after driving sports cars all these days, looking for something more versatile. Smooth and quiet tops, also like music. So proud edge owners, what is your opinion how quiet the ride is? and how good the music system?

Appreciate all your comments.

Planning to buy one, after driving sports cars all these days, looking for something more versatile. Smooth and quiet tops, also like music. So proud edge owners, what is your opinion how quiet the ride is? and how good the music system?

Appreciate all your comments.

My 2009 Edge Limited is very quiet and when I test drove the Lexus 2009 RX350 (new car buying came down to the Edge Limited vs. Lexus RX350) I felt that the Edge was more quiet all-around in city & highway driving conditions. This subjective conclusion was based on all windows closed and A/C both in the "ON" (Max fan) and "OFF" positions. As far as the sound system, that too is very good although I will have to say that the Lexus did have more speakers (15 vs. 9) and features in the Mark Levinson system - both have sub-woofer's and tweeter's along with mid-range speakers. If you search through this forum you will see where a number of Edge owner's have replaced their speakers but that seems to be the major change to the sound system made by most owners.

I have the 20 inch wheels with sport-tuned suspension option and the ride is both smooth and handling is very responsive (coming from sports cars you might want to consider this option).

My 2009 Edge Limited is very quiet and when I test drove the Lexus 2009 RX350 (new car buying came down to the Edge Limited vs. Lexus RX350) I felt that the Edge was more quiet all-around in city & highway driving conditions. This subjective conclusion was based on all windows closed and A/C both in the "ON" (Max fan) and "OFF" positions. As far as the sound system, that too is very good although I will have to say that the Lexus did have more speakers (15 vs. 9) and features in the Mark Levinson system - both have sub-woofer's and tweeter's along with mid-range speakers. If you search through this forum you will see where a number of Edge owner's have replaced their speakers but that seems to be the major change to the sound system made by most owners.

I have the 20 inch wheels with sport-tuned suspension option and the ride is both smooth and handling is very responsive (coming from sports cars you might want to consider this option).

I totally agree with ebaker21. My wife and I were going between the Edge and RX350 and could not believe the technology loaded in the Edge vs RX350. Both rides were just as smooth and the stock sound systems were comparable. We purchased the Limited with 20 inch wheels and sport tuned suspension as well. In the end, the Edge's technology won!!!

• 1 month later...
I totally agree with ebaker21. My wife and I were going between the Edge and RX350 and could not believe the technology loaded in the Edge vs RX350. Both rides were just as smooth and the stock sound systems were comparable. We purchased the Limited with 20 inch wheels and sport tuned suspension as well. In the end, the Edge's technology won!!!

I'm not sure what your criteria for quiet is, but my 07 edge SE is not quiet. Coming out of a GM product, I was sorely disappointed with the suspension and tire noise of the EDGE. It does not seem to have an insulated suspension system that many cars today have. I too am older and like a quiet, smooth ride with a minimum of suspension noise.....the Edge does not measure up!

Having said all of this, wind noise in the Edge is minimum, even in a nasty cross wind.

I still won't buy another though!

I'm not sure what your criteria for quiet is, but my 07 edge SE is not quiet. Coming out of a GM product, I was sorely disappointed with the suspension and tire noise of the EDGE. It does not seem to have an insulated suspension system that many cars today have. I too am older and like a quiet, smooth ride with a minimum of suspension noise.....the Edge does not measure up!

Having said all of this, wind noise in the Edge is minimum, even in a nasty cross wind.

I still won't buy another though!

i have to disagree.

we got rid of a Pontiac G6 fully loaded and that car drove and felt like a truck. road noise was horrible, handling was bad, and the front tires wore out completely with only 18,000 miles.

we upgraded to a 2007 Edge and the difference is unreal. i know comparing an Edge to a G6 isn't fair, but the G6 was supposed to be a more "luxury" model. and the best part is the gas mileage is the same.

the Edge is comfortable to sit in, extremely quiet, handles excellent and the only noise you can hear is when you pop open the sun roof.

we'll definitely get another Edge in the near future.

my only complaint with the Edge is that the sun reflects off the dash too much and onto the front windshield.

Edited by mark abby

• 1 month later...

I have a Edge 2008 and i too agree that the ride is very quiet on good roads, but when it comes to rough roads the suspensions give you the feel of bumps or roughness on the road. The same i checked of the toyota fortuner and it was a smooth ride on the rough road. though not as quiet as Edge on the good roads. The point i want to make here is ford need to work a little more on the suspensions.

Few of the things i found missing in Edge are the Handles for the front seats. Also no hook to pull the car in case of breakdown. I think these 2 things should be in the standard package.

Also when i go on the rough road the plastic makes noise.

Having just transitioned over from a 2002 Suburban, I am disappointed in the noise levels in my 2010 Edge. First off, it seems like my Hankook tires make an extreme amount of noise when I drive down the road.

I also hear more wind noise in the cabin than I did in my Suburban.

On the bright side, it is a lot quieter than my 1970 VW convertible!

Edited by LivingEdgey

I believe our 2008 Ford Edge Limited with 20's is very quiet. We test drove several vehicles before choosing our edge and the edge had the quietest ride available in a crossover/suv in our price range. We previously owned a 2007 ford edge SEL with the hankooks and there was some road noise from the terrible Hankook tires, replaced them with Coopers and the noise disappeared!! Like i said, we have owned two edges so far, the 07 unfortunately was totalled out when my wife and kids were rear ended by a girl going 45mph, good thing no one was hurt, but overall we LOVE our EDGE and will definately be buying another one when our Limited needs replaced in about ten years or so!!!!!!!!!Buy one you wont be disappointed!!

Edited by kiese02