Sideview mirror replacement

My girlfriend got clipped by a truck while driving my 2011 Edge SEL and lost the passenger sideview mirror. No other damage, thankfully, but she didn't get the driver's info and I'm not willing to submit a claim on my insurance to fix it. I found some nice mirrors on eBay from a 2012 Edge Limited which are much cheaper than the $400 Ford wants for a brand new mirror. It looks like the only difference between the 2011 SEL mirror and the 2012 Limited mirror is that the latter has a feature for mirror memory (whatever that means). Anyone know how these mirrors would be different? I assume the only difference is the pinouts on the connectors. Is there a diagram somewhere of exactly which pins lead to which mirror feature? Thanks.

The side view mirrors decreased in size for the 2012 model year. They are supposedly more aero dynamic and quieter. The 2012 side view mirror has three vanes on the top for air direction.

I'm not 100% sure of that. My 2011 mirrors are small with 3 vanes. I've seen pictures of 2012s with larger ones with 2 vanes. Could it be BLIS vs. a blind spot mirror that makes the difference?

From what I've seen, that looks about right. So I think we've determined that the mirror style of the 2012 and later 2011s is the same. Now the question is whether a mirror from a 2012 with more features (ie the memory thing) can be hooked up to a 2011 with fewer features (only missing the memory thing). As I mentioned, I imagine that the only difference is the number of pins to worry about. So it's a question of whether Ford keeps the pinouts basically the same between the different trim packages or changes them drastically. My basic plan is to just hook up the connections I have to the corresponding connections on the new mirror and leave the memory port open. I can rearrange wires inside the Molex connector if need be to account for changed pin numbers. Does anyone have a good idea of how to determine which pin does what? My best idea at this point is just to put a voltmeter across the various pins and push buttons until I figure out what they do.

• 1 year later...

I have a very similar problem to this, did you ever find a wiring diagram for the pins on the various Molex Connectors? My wife mysteriously lost the driver side mirror on her 2012 Edge, so I ordered a new one from Ebay that I thought was a non-memory mirror. Well a couple weeks went by after purchasing it before I decided to put it on, so I don't really have the option of returning it anymore. Problem is, the up switch makes it go down, down makes it go up, and left/right don't do anything. Our Edge is a non Memory vehicle, and I'm guessing the description for the mirror I purchased was wrong, and its actually from a memory vehicle. Does anyone have an idea where I could find a wiring diagram for a memory, and non memory vehicle so I can try changing the plugs around?

• 2 weeks later...