18" wheels vs. 20's

normcloutier

I ordered my 2013 edge with just the standard 18" wheels. I really like the look of the 20's and am considering changing. I was wondering if there are any pros or cons other than looks? I assume the 18" would be a softer ride simply because of more rubber but is there any difference in fuel economy, acceleration, etc because of the different axle ratio? I think towing capacity goes down with the 20's or is that only with the 22's?

Edited by normcloutier

If you want better performance, as in handling, go with the Sport. If you want a better ride and potentially better fuel economy, stick with 18's. I have 18's on my Limited and I love the way the Edge drives. I think the handling is perfectly acceptable for a 4200lbs vehicle with some decent ground clearance. Don't expect a sports car, but the Edge always feels well grounded in regular driving.

My wife curb rashed my 18's in the first week of ownership...I can state that the 18's are cheaper to replace ;)

Since mine is a primarily a winter vehicle only, the better snow performance of the 18 was chosen over that of the 20. I actually wanted the smaller...

I really like the look of the 20" chrome wheels and I'm torn between odrering the 18's or the 20's. Does anyone who lives in cold/snowy areas use their 20" factory tires in winter or do you swap them out for snow tires? If I have to get another complete set of wheels and tires to use in winter, I'll probably stick with the 18"'s. Any more comments are GREATLY appreciated. Especially any cold weather/snow experience with factory tires.