Ecoboost MPH

Vizsla_Buddy

I have been posting my MPG numbers here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/7989-ford-edge-gets-20l-ecoboost-30-miles-per-gallon/

My vehicle is currently at 6,800 miles and my total combined average has been just over 25 MPG. The vehicle window sticker lists the combined average at about 24 MPG. I've only seen 30 MPG on one full tank of fuel. I've hit 30 MPG and above on the meter when I've had a chance to drive it on the highway for a sustained period of time, but the non-highway driving brings the average back down. I'm convinced that your MPG rating is very dependent on your personal driving style. If you are an aggressive driver your MPG is going to be lower than if you are not. My spouse likes to stamp on the throttle so she can hit the brakes at the next red light. I don't see the point. She gets several MPG less than I do. It's easy to focus on the highway rating of a vehicle but most of us rarely drive all highway except on the rare long trip. When you compare your vehicle options, the most realistic number is probably the combined rating. While my MPG isn't quite as high as I'd hoped it would be, I have to remind myself that it's still better than the other two vehicles that I'd been considering.

BTW, the meter on the left side of the dash can give you really good feedback on where you are the most fuel efficient and where you are the least. That includes slight slopes you never noticed, and your own acceleration. If you pay attention, you can adapt your driving style a bit to be more fuel efficient, and I'm not talking about hyper-miling techniques such as drafting which I don't engage in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I belive canada goes by emperial gallon in which there is more volume per gallon then in the states. Multiply the Canadian MPG figure by 0.83 to arrive at U.S. MPG. If you wish to be absolutely accurate, the exact conversion factor is 0.8326742. In other words, the vehicle's mileage will be lower when quoted in American units. A vehicle that gets 35 mpg according to the Canadians will actually get 29.1 mpg by U.S. standards (35 x 0.8326742 = 29.1435965).

But I have a 2012 ecoboost that just clocked 500mi and my mpg going by the trip odo is 19.9mpg did alot of city driving this weekend, hit the highway at 70-75mph tried to baby it on all the hills and at the end was at 25.6mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting article in Wheels.ca which might explain lower than expected gas mileage if you have an Ecoboost with the panoramic vista roof.

Bigger sunroofs mean higher gas bills

If heavier sunroofs make up more than a third of a vehicle’s production mix, the vehicle’s fuel-economy testing must include the feature.

Tighter fuel economy regulations are forcing automakers to shave kilograms from their new vehicles. But the trend of offering heavy sunroofs and skylights may be mitigating any of those hard-fought weight savings.

In an Automotive News article, the added light from a glass roof is very appealing to new car owners. But these larger (and often costlier) sunroofs can add several more kilograms than a steel roof, while when open, disrupt airflow, increasing aerodynamic drag and reducing fuel economy.

Most sunroofs are less than 0.38 square metres in size. But, for example, the new 2013 Lincoln MKZ sedan will feature a pane of retractable roof four times that size.

If the heavier sunroofs make up more than a third of a vehicle’s production mix, the vehicle’s fuel-economy testing must include the feature. If not, you may not be getting your vehicle’s advertised fuel economy.

Just got done doing 350 miles up and back to N.H. Temperature was 95 degrees. Up and down all the mountains, A.C. set to 72. Cruise set to 70 to destination and 75 from destination. Downshifted to 5th many times. Got 27 M.P.G.! Very pleased. With no A.C., might have touched 30 M.P.G. 70 was around 1700 R.P.M., 75 was around 1900 R.P.M. I think the ECO-BOOST works harder, which it should, therefore you may not reach that 30 M.P.G. everyone is seeking. We have 4200 miles on this 3.5 SEL FWD and enjoy it very much. I feel FORD is making a mistake going to strictly 4 cyl. motors starting next year. M.P.G. is not the 'end all, be all'. Thanks.