Weight of 22" factory Sport wheels?

fordfanatik

My apologies if this is a repeat question but when I searched the forum, I couldn't find a post that actually answered my question. I'm thinking of upgrading my factory wheels for a fresh look and am hoping to find something that is significantly lighter. My mechanic keeps mentioning everytime he takes my 22s off to put my snows and wheels on that these wheels are by far the heaviest 22s he has ever come across (and I live in pickup country in central Ontario). Anybody know the weight of the factory 22s?

thx!

FF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sorry feirstein but I think you are wrong, the Edge Sport has great handling and the hide is actually smooth and braking is more than fine. Yes it is for looks, but to put it up there with light bulbs, you must be old fashioned. No body is auto crossing their edge.

Edited by c_bova

Not tested this myself....but I have read in several magazines a base model Edge with 3.5 and standard wheels is the quickest Edge. Again....don't know if that's true or not.

Do know new edge with 22's now has a different gear to make up for the 22's. The 22 wheel and tire package, with it's huge amout of unsprung weight, will hurt acceleration and braking, but I would imagine they would have a fly wheel effect of stored energy, and not hurt cruising fuel economy any. With struts/shock settings and air pressure settings, designed around 22's, don't see why the Sport model not a decent ride.

The auto mags have tested larger and larger tires and wheels (not on an Edge) and found that the ride and overall performance went down as the wheel and tire size went up. It is possible to make a light weight 22" wheel and tire combination, but Ford does not offer such a combination and few would be willing to pay for it. The biggest problem with Ford Edge 18" and 22" tire sizes is that very few tires are available in the size Ford selected for the Edge. Even Ford has had problems obtaining an adequate supply of tires as sales have picked up.