Factory HIDs - how do they stack up ?

I have the factory HIDs on my 2011 Limited 302A rapid spec. How do these stack up against the after market retro fits people are doing?

I think the stock is just 35 watts and like the Sony sound system it's simply anemic and needs some more wattage in the cottage !

I've seen 55watt after markets bulbs. Does anyone have a part number on maximum wattage main bulbs?

Tacyon: There's really more to it than the wattage. Wattage makes the light more intense but it's the amount of lumens that actually determines how bright your lights will be.

Stock HIDs are generally 4000-4150K in color which is usually somewhere around 2500-2800 lumens. My 5000K kit is 3200 lumens. My previous 6000K kit was 2800. Bear in mind, my kit is 35w.

Here's a color chart to better clarify things courtesy of the vendor I bought my kit from.

http://shop.3bspecia...B4-Kits_c34.htm

As for the audio system, I do agree it does need more wattage in the cottage. However, I would like to change the amplification and the speakers.

Edited by PrinzII

Sooo, is there a replacment bulb for OE that is just plugin that will match intensity of aftermarket kits. KC, I was wondering just in case I have to switch mine to match your DRL.

Correct. More than likely, your bulb is a D2 variant (e.g. D2S) which is what comes with factory HIDs. You can buy aftermarket versions of those bulbs to work with the factory HIDs. In KC's case, he also has a 55w ballast and a relay harness.

Edited by PrinzII

SO I take it the ballast's are some what inter-changeable from OEM to after markets. Is there a plug standard like we have for bulbs or is it every manufacturer for themselves ?

Does simply placing a 55watt ballast in place of the stock ones equate to an appreciable increase in lumens.

Without opening a can of quantum mechanics on ya ... I do know about lumens aka candle power, and I would tend to argue that "more intense" would, could be synonymous with more candle power and therefore more light. But I think I get the point you were trying to describe.. and I do appreciate the information as I am in learn mode still on the new tech on my Edge. My other "AWD" (ah) 4x4 is a vintage '74-78 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, not much tech there.

:shades: <- Tac engages his ocular photonic shields !