Questions for Owners

redundant

I test drove an Edge yesterday. Have been looking at it for a long time online. I have the following questions.

1. Is anyone else find the top of the gauages are blocked by the steering wheel?

2. Coming from a 2000 Windstar with deep and comfortable leather seats, I find the front seats short on the new Edge. This seems to be a common new car feature, which I guess is a cost cutting measure. That said, how have people found the long term comfort of the seats?

3. Has anyone had a trouble with the brakes.....JUST KIDDING!!

4. Just a comment. I drove a tan interior Edge, and the glare is bad. I don't like black or gray interiors, but I am sure it would help. But, as various people have pointed out, the glare can literally block your view. I really don't think I should have to wear poloroid sunglasses to drive the car.

5. Another comment. My Windstar has soft everything. The entire dash is soft touch. The hard plastic is jarring. Don't think it is a deal killer, because times have changed, and I am not willing to pay mid 40's for a higher quality interior.

To me, the main issues are seat comfort long term, and do you get used to not seeing your speed. The glare is the glare. it bothers you or it doesn't. I just have to decide that one for myself.

thank you for your comments.

Thank you. I did and I didn't miss it. I found a lever that allowed the steering wheel to move up and down. For me, anyway, it had to be in bus driver mode for me to see the gauges. I would rather the wheel be in the position I like, than see my speed. I mean, I could see the spindle and part of the needle, so I can tell relatively what speed I am going. The tach doesn't matter, because it is an automatic.

If the wheel moved in and out, then I missed that adjustment. I should go back to the showroom and check that out.

You must have missed the height adjustment on the steering wheel. It can be both telescoped in and out and adjusted vertically.

Thank you. I did and I didn't miss it. I found a lever that allowed the steering wheel to move up and down. For me, anyway, it had to be in bus driver mode for me to see the gauges. I would rather the wheel be in the position I like, than see my speed. I mean, I could see the spindle and part of the needle, so I can tell relatively what speed I am going. The tach doesn't matter, because it is an automatic.

If the wheel moved in and out, then I missed that adjustment. I should go back to the showroom and check that out.

Quite a few people here have complained about the air flow of the AC system (for the driver). I noticed that adjusting the steering wheel helps with this also.

We drove an Edge and found the seating too low for my wife. It did not have power seats which would have cured the condition. After pricing one out and comparing the MKX, we decided to step up and lease the Lincoln. Our new daughter-in-law wants it at the end of the lease.

We are absolutely thrilled with the MKX and would have been happy with the Edge if we could have found what we wanted option wise. The power liftgate and heated/cooled seats in the MKX are worthy options, and reinforce the decision every time we drive it.

The height of the seats were ok for me, 6' male. The gauge thing is annoying, however. I sure did like how it drove. Very quiet, and nice solid thump on bumps.

Are the seats comfortable for long periods?

We drove an Edge and found the seating too low for my wife. It did not have power seats which would have cured the condition. After pricing one out and comparing the MKX, we decided to step up and lease the Lincoln. Our new daughter-in-law wants it at the end of the lease.

We are absolutely thrilled with the MKX and would have been happy with the Edge if we could have found what we wanted option wise. The power liftgate and heated/cooled seats in the MKX are worthy options, and reinforce the decision every time we drive it.

Edited by redundant

90 mile round trip to the airport is the longest we have driven. No problems - very comfortable. Our MKX is black on black, and after 90+ degree temps since we got it, the cooled seats feel great.

We did not drive the Edge with premium seats or full option content. They may be as comfortable as the MKX??? I look forward to a longer trip in it.

Polarized sun glasses elimante 99% of the glare....

I recently took a trip to Maine from Maryland....drove 5 hours without stopping....a new record for me....I find the seats very comfortable...

An Edge priced out in the 40's???? You go to that Watertown Ford rip off dealer in Boston?????

Edited by 7

Thanks all. I may just go 08, tri coat white, black interior, Limited. Black will be new for me, but will keep glare down.

I wasn't going to get AWD, because I have always had FWD, and never had a problem. Figured I would save the money and the weight.

However, the more I read, it sounds like this car handles better in AWD. I live in NYC area, and snow is not a problem, but may to Vermont skiing. However, it would be the everyday I would want it for.

Also never figured I would go for it either. Considering all kinds of new ideas.