2013 Edge "6" Speaker Front to Back Audio Output Difference?

I am now almost a week with my 2013 SEL Edge, love it so far! I do expect to replace the factory speakers but don't understand something completely. There is a huge difference in the volume and bass response between the front and rear speakers. With the balance and faders set to center the front kicks some bass and pretty loud, the rear, almost no bass and much softer. I understand the front and rear speakers are different, (front has tweeters and the back only wizzer cones), but I would not expect the volume and bass to be this different.

Either Ford did a poor job matching the efficiency of the front and rear speakers, there is an installation (cavity) difference, or there is an amplifier power difference? I can't find any information that tells me if the amplifier is separate on the "6" Speaker system or part of the head unit. It would help to know all this to decide if the best replacements would be identical front and ear speakers? IAre all the factory speakers 4 ohm?)

Thanks in Advance, you are the guys that can help!

I doubt it was intentional, my 2008 Edge Limited had a DSP selection that would let you choose if you wanted the sound to be centered for the Driver's Seat or All seats, and all speakers were about the same level..

My question is to understand for the 2013 Edge SEL:

1. Is the Amplifier Contained IN the head Unit or a Separate Amp?

2. Best to Replace all 4 speakers with the same model? (I probably will)

3. 4 Ohm Speakers all around?

Thanks for the Help!

I just replaced all 4 speakers in my 2012 edge with infinity kappa 682.9cf and really like the sound improvement! I did attenuate the treble in the rear speakers using the -3db button. Worth the $150 I spent (amazon). If I didn't have a 3 year old and a 10 month old in the car, I am sure I would have considered a much better system, as it is I can't play the music that loud anyway :)

Edited by candurin

The Infinity's look pretty good and are in my price range... Questions - Is there a tweeter level adjustment on the crossovers? (I couldn't see one and there was no mention at the Amazon site?) How did you mount the crossover that hangs on the wires? Do you have decent bass response with these 4 speakers? Are you running the audio tone controls flat?

Thanks!!

I used 3m dual lock tape and secured the crossovers inside my door. There is a -3db attenuation button on the speaker tweeter itself. I basically made any bass/mid/treble adjustments using the built-in eq. I think I am running them at +4 treb, +3 mid and +4 bass (something like that),

Bass response is pretty good and sound reproduction is really good (now some of my lower bitrate iPod songs sound like crap).

Does it sound like a subwoofer? No. Much better than stock? Absolutely!

Edited by candurin