Diasble Panic Button

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I did try searching first.

My 2012 Limited has the Intelligent Access key fob and I have found that especially during the summer when I have more in my pockets (no coat) that I accidentally set off my panic alarm fairly frequently. One time I was sitting in a restaurant thinking "who's the jerk with the car alarm going off" when someone called out, "anyone have a white Ford Edge?"

I was unable to find a way to disable the feature, so I have taken care of the button itself. Since I am sure there are many others who have the same problem, I'll share the very easy fix.

1) To start, follow the instructions in the manual for opening the remote to replace the battery.

2) After removing the back, you'll see the circuit board with the buttons on the other side. Remove the silver trim piece by pushing the buttons while holding the trim.

3) Separate the rubber panel of buttons from the circuit board

4) On the back of each button is a round contact that coincides with a copper contact on the circuit board. Attach a small (large enough to cover the round contact but not large enough to interfere with other buttons or reassembly) piece of tape to the contact on the panic button.

5) Reassemble

You have now easily deactivated your panic button in a way that is reversible by merely removing the tape.

Time Elapsed: 2-3 minutes

Downside: Panic button doesn't work

Upside: Panic button doesn't work

You can can still do pseudo panic with your IA fob:

Lock

Lock

Lock

Lock

Lock

Lock

My 14 month old son kind of knows about the panic button on both our cars. Or perhaps he just likes pushing buttons

Edited by cjd3