White Circle Blinking On Nav Screen

I tried a search and didn't find anything.

Just picked up a 2013 Limited with Nav. When I have the nav on showing the map, my vehicle is denoted as a red arrow. There is a white circle which surrounds the red arrow and it blinks on and off, about every second or two.

Can this be shut off, or what is it. Didn't find anything in the owner's manual about it. For that matter, the manual left alot of unanswered questions regarding the nav. I'll work on this one first.

Thanks, Steve

I think you're referring to the GPS's "Area of Accuracy" circle. There is an actual name for that like AoA or AoE, can't remember. But basically you're vehicle can be anywhere inside that circle. Not actually in the center of it where ever that may be.

The US Department of Defense can dial back the accuracy in times of war such that civilian GPS units will suddenly become way less accurate. At least that is the way it was back in the day. Civilian units were only accurate to 90' if I recall. Now most modern, multi-channel units are accurate to ~9 feet. (3 meters) An area smaller than most cars foot print !

This blinking circle is probably my biggest peeve about my new Edge. It's not an Error of Probability circle (I know what you are referring to) as it is one size only, never changes. It's the stupidest thing. Ford probably put it on there for some liability reason.

-JR

Edited by JFR

This blinking circle is probably my biggest peeve about my new Edge. It's not an Error of Probability circle (I know what you are referring to) as it is one size only, never changes. It's the stupidest thing. Ford probably put it on there for some liability reason.

-JR

I have to agree with you 100% about it being stupid. It is also useless and unnecessary, in my opinion. This is the first Ford I've had with factory nav, and compared to my previous GM's, this nav is somewhat behind the curve in some aspects. The GM's don't have an annoying flashing circle and you can edit some of the info off the screen. My gosh, this Ford screen is cluttered with information overload! Maybe that's why they have the circle blinking, so you can find your vehicle on the map!

So far I am very impressed with the Edge and it's handling, MPG, ride and comfort.

-JR

Personally, the flashing circle helps me focus immediately on the screen as I'm driving (like the cursor trails on a laptop); mind you, Ford might have made the flashing a configurable parameter.

I have to agree with you 100% about it being stupid. It is also useless and unnecessary, in my opinion. This is the first Ford I've had with factory nav, and compared to my previous GM's, this nav is somewhat behind the curve in some aspects. The GM's don't have an annoying flashing circle and you can edit some of the info off the screen. My gosh, this Ford screen is cluttered with information overload! Maybe that's why they have the circle blinking, so you can find your vehicle on the map!

So far I am very impressed with the Edge and it's handling, MPG, ride and comfort.

You're stuck with the white circle, but you can turn various map features on/off via nav settings - I have mine set to just about everything turned off LOL, cleans up the screen nicely.

Thanks for the info about using the nav settings to help clean up the screen. I'll have to look for it when I'm going through the SYNC system. I've read the owner's manual and the Getting to Know Sync booklet, but don't recall seeing anything about using the settings.

BCE ... yeah I seemed to remember that little fact now that you mention it ... when you get to be my age .... you'll know what I'm talking about.

JFR .. EOP exactly ! (see end comment from 1st line - :huh: )

I guess I don't remember seeing it (notice a trend here) and if I did just wrote it off to not being totally in sync with my new car quite yet. (HAH .. made a funny)