Loud 2.0 Ecoboost

UPC2

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for a 2012 Edge with 2.0 Ecoboost to be very loud while in park or in idle? The RPM's seem normal but the noise soulds like a very high "Rev". I called my local dealer I and I don't think they really know? Anyone else with a 2012 Edge SE 2.0 Ecoboost (FWD only) with a similar issue or do I have a problem that I need to solve?

Thanks- Prior Lake MN

I haven't heard an Ecoboost running but I know from my last vehicle (GMC Terrain) that Direct Injection engines, due to their high pressure fuel pump, are noisier at idle than MPFI engines.

I always likened the sound at idle to a sewing machine (don't know why... when was the last time I was near one of those???).

• 2 weeks later...

The only time the engine has seemed loud to me is when I pull into the garage with my window down and the electric fan is running. I've never stood outside of the vehicle as it idled so I don't know how that is. The vehicle seems to have excellent noise insulation so from the interior I don't notice anything.

• 1 month later...

With the hood up, 2.0 sounds very much like a diesel, which I also equate to a sewing machine. Having driven some very good diesels lately in Europe (BMW & Audi), I actually don't find the sound to be a problem at all. From the cabin, all is quiet and the performance is definitely there, including 27-29 mpg combined so far (6 weeks).

I would love to see 27-29mpg only getting 17-19mpg. Sitting at the dealership now having random transmission issues no tech can duplicate.

Does your transmission get a bit "stupid"? Shift when it should not have and then shift again only to correct itself, and very quickly?

• Like 1

That would be a good way to describe it also likes to delay going into drive from reverse and the slam into drive. The strange thing is that when the engine sounds like crap is when the transmission likes to act up. I have brought the TSB on the fusion to my service advisor attention since they share the same transmission they just keep blowing me off picked it up yesterday and it almost stalled out while shifting but they can find no problems.