Stereo problems - with subwoofer or base

Cindy

I have a 2008 Ford Edge with very low miles, 22,000 and I have been the original owner. The last few months I have been having problems with the base going out in the stereo. You will be listening to it and all of a sudden it looses the base and sounds terrible and you don't hear anything coming from the subwoofer. Sometimes turning it off and on will bring it back. We haven't taken the back panel off as it looks very complicated but wondered if maybe there could be a loose wire. I don't want to ask a Ford Dealership as I am sure they would rack up big service charges. Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions. This forum as been amazing for advice so I am looking for it again. Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

• 6 months later...
I have a 2008 Ford Edge with very low miles, 22,000 and I have been the original owner. The last few months I have been having problems with the base going out in the stereo. You will be listening to it and all of a sudden it looses the base and sounds terrible and you don't hear anything coming from the subwoofer. Sometimes turning it off and on will bring it back. We haven't taken the back panel off as it looks very complicated but wondered if maybe there could be a loose wire. I don't want to ask a Ford Dealership as I am sure they would rack up big service charges. Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions. This forum as been amazing for advice so I am looking for it again. Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

hello iam travelking i have the same problem. i have an 2007 ford edge with the navigation/ subwoofer. i was told to remove the seat belt and the rear panels in the back and that the harness to the subwoofer is worn out and has to be changed. i havent done anything to mines as of yet. the bass goes of and on. for a while, it works better when the stereo i on for long periods of time. hope this is of sime help to you. if you learn more pls tell me.

Hi Travelking -

Ā 

Thanks for the response to my question. I still haven't done anything with mine but it still cuts out off and on. I had printed a fix that someone had posted on this before but looks pretty intense so haven't tried anything. Do you think you will be trying this yourself soon? If so, can you give me feedback on whether it works or not. This fix sounds much more less involved. When I asked a Ford dealership about this, of course their response was that they had never heard of this before and suggested they look into it which would be probably endless amounts of service work. Not prepared to do that yet.

Ā 

Thanks, Cindy

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is an old post and I have even posted on it before. Still having problems where the base goes out in my 2008 Edge Subwoofer. When I turn the stereo off and on again the base will usually come back on but then will go off again. I stopped at a stereo place and they told me by turning it off and on again, it is resetting the Amp. They too said it is probably the amp but they can't check it, it would have to be done by Ford. Stopped at Ford and they told me to check it, I would probably have to pay around $50.00 for an hour of service to see what it is. With our discount I can buy the amp for $76.00. Trying to figure out if I just take a chance and buy the amp and replace it without having it checked first. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Do you think it is very likely the amp and not the subwoofer. Only have about 28,000 on this Edge.

Ā 

Thanks to anyone that might have any suggestions. Really getting tired of losing the base, the stereo doesn't sound anything like it should when the base is out.

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post and I have even posted on it before. Still having problems where the base goes out in my 2008 Edge Subwoofer. When I turn the stereo off and on again the base will usually come back on but then will go off again. I stopped at a stereo place and they told me by turning it off and on again, it is resetting the Amp. They too said it is probably the amp but they can't check it, it would have to be done by Ford. Stopped at Ford and they told me to check it, I would probably have to pay around $50.00 for an hour of service to see what it is. With our discount I can buy the amp for $76.00. Trying to figure out if I just take a chance and buy the amp and replace it without having it checked first. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Do you think it is very likely the amp and not the subwoofer. Only have about 28,000 on this Edge.

Ā 

Thanks to anyone that might have any suggestions. Really getting tired of losing the base, the stereo doesn't sound anything like it should when the base is out.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Sorry I reposted what I said by accident. Need some help from anybody regarding my amp. Have tackled the problem but need some help. When we went into a ford dealership they plugged in the VIN number and it came up with one number on the amp. My husband opened everything up and exposed the amp. We took the number into ford and they said that amp doesn't even show it should be in an Edge just other cars. They ordered the one that says it should have and am waiting for it. Now when you wiggle the harness from the sub that goes into the amp the base sometimes goes out. Wondering if the plug going into the amp could be bad. No help from ford unless you want to pay their high prices for diagnostic. The base comes on sometimes if I turn the radio on and off at the switch. I know their is a wealth of knowledge from people on here and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance for you're help

You first posted about this problem back in August of 2012! You have now just ordered the part which others have suggested was the problem. Perhaps the amp is bad and the wiggling of the connector just allows the amp to work properly. I would install the ordered amp and see if that corrects the problem as others have mentioned.

You first posted about this problem back in August of 2012! You have now just ordered the part which others have suggested was the problem. Perhaps the amp is bad and the wiggling of the connector just allows the amp to work properly. I would install the ordered amp and see if that corrects the problem as others have mentioned.

Ā 

Thank you for your response. Surprisingly even though the ford dealership tells you they haven't had problems with them, it arrived today. We put the new amp in and it seems to be working fine. We will be testing it before putting everything back together. It appears that the solid connection from the amp had a problem as the slightest movement of it made the amp go out. Hopefully this post will help someone else too as everyone has helped me. Again thank you for your quick response.

• 11 months later...