Helpful Mods?

cmillz1331

. The answer is no. Just not worth it. There always is a few HP left in the stock tune...the factory tunes it safely a tad rich when new so as it leans out with age it's not too lean. You can run it a tad leaner if you are careful. That might make 2-3 HP. You can run a louder freer flowing exhaust....that might be worth another 2-3 HP. You can tune it for premium fuel.....that might add 6-8 HP....but increases fuel cost about 10%. None of these mods really does much for performance in an Edge. It would take 10-15 HP increase to even make the vehicle one tenth of a second quicker in the 1/4 mile. You can't notice that on the street. Although some claim they can. Loud exhaust usually makes the car sound faster.....even if it isn't.

IMHO the Edge is not a good candidate for performance mods. it's too heavy and you can't easily change the front axle ratio. In a rear wheel drive vehicle like a Mustang....just changing the rear axle ratio to about 10% lower gear makes the car feel like you added 50-75 HP. You can't do that with an Edge (you could run little bitty small diameter wheels in front LOL....gives same effect). Changing gearing (increasing mechanical advantage) is the biggest bang for the buck you can do for a vehicle's acceleration....and that makes it use more fuel since it's usually turning more RPM all the time..

. The answer is no. Just not worth it. There always is a few HP left in the stock tune...the factory tunes it safely a tad rich when new so as it leans out with age it's not too lean. You can run it a tad leaner if you are careful. That might make 2-3 HP. You can run a louder freer flowing exhaust....that might be worth another 2-3 HP. You can tune it for premium fuel.....that might add 6-8 HP....but increases fuel cost about 10%. None of these mods really does much for performance in an Edge. It would take 10-15 HP increase to even make the vehicle one tenth of a second quicker in the 1/4 mile. You can't notice that on the street. Although some claim they can. Loud exhaust usually makes the car sound faster.....even if it isn't.

IMHO the Edge is not a good candidate for performance mods. it's too heavy and you can't easily change the front axle ratio. In a rear wheel drive vehicle like a Mustang....just changing the rear axle ratio to about 10% lower gear makes the car feel like you added 50-75 HP. You can't do that with an Edge (you could run little bitty small diameter wheels in front LOL....gives same effect). Changing gearing (increasing mechanical advantage) is the biggest bang for the buck you can do for a vehicle's acceleration....and that makes it use more fuel since it's usually turning more RPM all the time..

Agreed. The Edge should just be enjoyed for what it is.

Learn to drive for fuel economy. It makes a huge difference. Go to Hiper Milers web site. Although you don't have to go to their extremes.

In my younger days, I spent a lot of time at the drag strip. Superchaged some Mustangs. Learned alot about making HP.

Now....I'm into modern tech. Just love the technology in some of these cars. Am constantly trying to get the very best fuel economy. I believe I could get almost 30 MPG highway on our 2012 Edge if I realy tried....mainly just driving a lot slower and easing off from starts, and using the brakes as little as possible. You can do that also.....if you want to. Good luck.

I've been trying to lately...I used to just punch it everywhere and have fun then my mom put the gas burden on me haha now I roll out of stops before accelerating which I do pretty slowly, I average 67 mph in a 60 mph highway and I coast as much as possible. I just find that this car isn't really great for mpg like other suv's or cuv's are

wow...its already getting colder here in cleveland. but I can't complain cause football is starting up this weekend.....and I'm a steelers fan while living in cleveland. My family has had season tickets to the steelers since three rivers stadium....can't wait till we beat the brownies so I can stop hearing about how good they're guna be!

I use climate control all the time. And still get the posted mileage I noted above. 27-28 hiway. However....if warm enough for compressor to run, always use auto....and recirculate...to save a little fuel. You can set the temp on the high side (around 74 in my Edge) to keep compressor from running too much. If my engine is on, 99.9 % of time climate system is set to auto. Windows closed.

I don't think of it as an A/C system....it's a climate control system for all kind of weather. Read your owners manual, and you'll discover it will put it on recirculate occasionally when it's beneficial.

I sometimes wish I lived where the outside air temp is just right for inside cooling, where the humidity is just right, and where the air is clean enough to breath without being filtered. But I don't. If I did, I could put it on auto, with a/c compressor off. I still would not roll down the windows. That creates drag.