Michelin Defender: NOT

Feirstein

I contacted Michelin to find out when their new super tire (90,000 mile warranty all season, etc) would be made available in a size that would fit the Edge.

Their email reply was that Michelin considers the Edge to be a light truck and therefore will only offer light truck tires in a size to fit the Edge. I think Ford needs to get into contact with Michelin and let them know that a broader line of tires needs to be offered for the Edge other than the current light truck tires Michelin now thinks is the only line appropriate for the Edge.

I contacted Michelin to find out when their new super tire (90,000 mile warranty all season, etc) would be made available in a size that would fit the Edge.

Their email reply was that Michelin considers the Edge to be a light truck and therefore will only offer light truck tires in a size to fit the Edge. I think Ford needs to get into contact with Michelin and let them know that a broader line of tires needs to be offered for the Edge other than the current light truck tires Michelin now thinks is the only line appropriate for the Edge.

Ford works directly with manufacturers to develop tires for specific vehicles. When the Lincoln LS debuted in 1999 I think they went through about 20 different tire versions before it was done. If you check tirerack.com you'll find multiple versions of the same tire with different characteristics because there are different versions for different mfrs and vehicles. And they can be drastically different.

Besides - Ford doesn't control aftermarket tires, nor should they.

The Defender is not a compromised tire but a high end tire that exhibits high levels of performance for an all-season tire; and lasts 90,000 miles.

I have read that Ford tested many tires, but some of the OEM tires Ford offers with the Edge actually exhibit some of the lowest scores from users on the Tire Rack site.

The Edge tires are so unique that relatively few choices are offered. Just why would Michelin insist that the Edge is a light truck not worthy of a wider selection of tires outside of their light truck offerings? Seems like Ford could step in to correct that impression. I need new all season tires and feel a bit fustrated.

The Defender is not a compromised tire but a high end tire that exhibits high levels of performance for an all-season tire; and lasts 90,000 miles.

I have read that Ford tested many tires, but some of the OEM tires Ford offers with the Edge actually exhibit some of the lowest scores from users on the Tire Rack site.

The Edge tires are so unique that relatively few choices are offered. Just why would Michelin insist that the Edge is a light truck not worthy of a wider selection of tires outside of their light truck offerings? Seems like Ford could step in to correct that impression. I need new all season tires and feel a bit fustrated.

The only way to make a tire last 90K miles is to make it harder or double the amount of tread. There is no magic that I'm aware of that would allow a tire to last that long without some type of compromise on ride quality, noise and/or handling. And I love Michelin tires - I rarely buy anything else.

You have to be careful with tirerack user surveys because the same mfr/model tire can have multiple versions. E.g. my 06 Fusion came with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s. So did the Honda Accord. But the specs on the Honda version are different from the Fusion version and the performance and ride quality are also very different. I also think there are at least 2 other versions of that tire built to difference specs for different vehicles or for regular retail. You really need to get feedback from owners who have that specific tire on your vehicle and make sure you get the same version. There are too many differences to get an accurate rating otherwise.

If Michelin does not offer a tire for a specific vehicle or type of vehicle and/or size then there is usually a good reason for it. E.g. having tires that are too sticky on a vehicle with a high center of gravity is not good as it can induce a rollover if the vehicle gets sideways as opposed to another tire that slides more easily.

They also have to take into account how many people would be likely to buy a specific tire in a specific size - maybe it's just not a good investment for them at this time.

You can make small changes as long as you keep the overall diameter close to the same. e.g. going from 225/50/17 to 235/45/17.

• 2 weeks later...