Interesting oil change experience

Limited59

I had my '11 Edge in to my favourite quick lube this morning for it's second oil change at 5,300 miles (8,500km) and 13 months ownership. They know and respect that I only want the oil and filter changed and not to fool with anything else in the engine bay, etc. I like that it's not an all day process as it seems to be at the dealership and that I can see what's going on at all times. Yeah, I'm anal like that.

Anyway, at the end of the process the 'downstairs' guy comes up and tells me there are a few things he noticed....

There appears to be an oil leak of some sort coming from the top rear of the engine and 'sweating' (as he puts it) down the back of the block. He couldn't see where it was coming from.

The passenger side half shaft has oil on it at the transaxle end and it's slinging fluid on the engine.

He heard a knock in the bottom end at idle but when he tried to locate the source with his ear to a ratchet extension he said it was coming from within the engine. The 'topside' tech could not hear the knock.

The level was about half a quart low. Last oil change was in November at about 2,800 miles (4,500km) so about 2,500 miles ago.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I certainly do not drive my vehicles hard - quite the opposite. I haven't had anyone comment on oil leakage from any of my vehicles for at least the last 7 years. I always use high quality full synthetic oil. There is no oil spotting on my garage floor.

When I got home (after about four hours of driving) I got as far as I could under the vehicle and yes, the engine end of the passenger half-shaft appears to have oil of some sort on it. A very light coat and I couldn't see any signs of fluid being slung anywhere. I couldn't get myself far enough under to inspect this other leak.

As far as any low end knock, I'm blindsided. I haven't heard it, aside from the engine being a bit noisy when cold. Nothing I would consider a problem. Lots of warranty left regardless.

Anyone else have any of these issues as such a low mileage?

I had my '11 Edge in to my favourite quick lube this morning for it's second oil change at 5,300 miles (8,500km) and 13 months ownership. They know and respect that I only want the oil and filter changed and not to fool with anything else in the engine bay, etc. I like that it's not an all day process as it seems to be at the dealership and that I can see what's going on at all times. Yeah, I'm anal like that.

Anyway, at the end of the process the 'downstairs' guy comes up and tells me there are a few things he noticed....

There appears to be an oil leak of some sort coming from the top rear of the engine and 'sweating' (as he puts it) down the back of the block. He couldn't see where it was coming from.

The passenger side half shaft has oil on it at the transaxle end and it's slinging fluid on the engine.

He heard a knock in the bottom end at idle but when he tried to locate the source with his ear to a ratchet extension he said it was coming from within the engine. The 'topside' tech could not hear the knock.

The level was about half a quart low. Last oil change was in November at about 2,800 miles (4,500km) so about 2,500 miles ago.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I certainly do not drive my vehicles hard - quite the opposite. I haven't had anyone comment on oil leakage from any of my vehicles for at least the last 7 years. I always use high quality full synthetic oil. There is no oil spotting on my garage floor.

When I got home (after about four hours of driving) I got as far as I could under the vehicle and yes, the engine end of the passenger half-shaft appears to have oil of some sort on it. A very light coat and I couldn't see any signs of fluid being slung anywhere. I couldn't get myself far enough under to inspect this other leak.

As far as any low end knock, I'm blindsided. I haven't heard it, aside from the engine being a bit noisy when cold. Nothing I would consider a problem. Lots of warranty left regardless.

Anyone else have any of these issues as such a low mileage?

Hi Limited. :D Things do happen, even to new vehicles. That is why we have a "New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty". Make a service appointment and let them properly diagnose and repair any and all issues.

I am not trying to stop you from soliciting the opinions and experiences of others. However, in the end it really doesnt matter whether anyone else had the same issues as you or not. You are having them and that is all that matters. And the way to have those issues properly corrected is to let Ford and the Dealers Service Department do their job. And the sooner the better.

Whatever you decide to do good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thank you for the response. I will not be wasting my time at the dealership anytime soon. Unless I start seeing oil on my garage floor or start hearing a knock myself, it will be business as usual.

I'm currently operating under the assumption that slight seal seepage was attributed to the few times I brought it out of storage last winter for a short drive. I travel in the winter time and had my Edge in storage, inside, and fired it up a few times and ran it for about fifteen minutes per time during the months of December through March.

Whatever helps me sleep at night. I've traded vehicles for less than a little oil leakage. Just going to keep a close eye on oil levels going forward.

Best personal regards,