Vynle wrap

kbaboomi

This is tough to do if you don't have the tools, technique and the money to burn on lots of mistakes an messed up vinyl. My friends shop does it and I couldn't believe the cost for a car until I saw what was involved. They had three guys measuring, cutting, heating, and stretching all at once. And that's after a fully cleaned and prepped car...

I wrap cars professionally and depending on your area and quality of install, you're looking at about 2500-3500 for an SUV of our size. For a paint job, you're looking at about 6000-8000 depending on the quality of the shop.

Ā 

Wrapping cars is usually half the cost of a paint job. Each method has it's own pros and cons in terms of cost, appearance, and durability.

Ā 

To get the most out of a wrap job, you should go with colors that are on the rare side, as well as choosing different colors combos. For instance, you can go with a satin black body with gloss black accents. Here's a couple of pics for reference.

Ā 

tumblr_m129qeKxCa1qlo9hgo1_500.jpg

bw11_2a.jpg

I wrap cars professionally and depending on your area and quality of install, you're looking at about 2500-3500 for an SUV of our size. For a paint job, you're looking at about 6000-8000 depending on the quality of the shop.

Ā 

Wrapping cars is usually half the cost of a paint job. Each method has it's own pros and cons in terms of cost, appearance, and durability.

Ā 

To get the most out of a wrap job, you should go with colors that are on the rare side, as well as choosing different colors combos. For instance, you can go with a satin black body with gloss black accents. Here's a couple of pics for reference.

Ā 

tumblr_m129qeKxCa1qlo9hgo1_500.jpg

bw11_2a.jpg

Do you happen to have any pics of an edge wrapped or a similar vehicle that doesn't have very many curves to it? The range rover looks awesome but the edge doesn't have that lift in the hood to use that type of accent I don't think

I don't have any pics of the Edge being wrapped unfortunately. I've wrapped grills on the newer generation Edge model's, but that's about it.

Ā 

I use 3M vinyl and it's rated to last at least 5 years. It could last longer depending on how well it is maintained. For bad weather, I'd give it a good 3-4 years for the lower panels that are wrapped. The rock salt and ice is bound to do damage to those areas.

Ā 

What color were you planning on wrapping your Edge? In case you don't what colors are available, here is what is offered by 3M: http://multimedia.3m...QPbsQPbPPPPPP--

Edited by EdgeZ06

I don't have any pics of the Edge being wrapped unfortunately. I've wrapped grills on the newer generation Edge model's, but that's about it.

Ā 

I use 3M vinyl and it's rated to last at least 5 years. It could last longer depending on how well it is maintained. For bad weather, I'd give it a good 3-4+ years. The rock salt and ice is bound to do damage to the lower panels.

Ā 

What color were you planning on wrapping your Edge? In case you don't what colors are offered, here is what is offered by 3M: http://multimedia.3m...QPbsQPbPPPPPP--

I really like the satin black look...someone else had it painted that color on here and it looked awesome. I'm only thinking about changing colors b/c of how bad the dirt makes it look :banghead: so if the satin black wouldn't help that then probably matte white. All depends on the local prices though....

Matte white looks great in pictures and when it's clean, but it gets dirty easily. I've installed matte white on a car and the door handles were constantly dirty due to dirty hands. If you want a white wrap, I suggest gloss white as it will not stain as much.

Ā 

If showing dirt is an issue for you, I would recommend applying Opti-Coat to your Edge, which is a permanent sealant. It will repel dirt and liquids so washing will become less frequent and less tedious. I also recommend you find a detailer that can perform quality paint restoration/correction work.

Ā 

When clients come in because they are tired of the look of their car, we usually perform a full paint correction to make it look brand new. It's a much more economical solution to wrapping the car and it restores the look to brand new(no more scratches and swirls). Clients get blown away by the results and didn't even know such a turnaround was possible without repainting it. Topping it off with a permanent sealant like Opti-Coat will keep it looking new for a long time.

Edited by EdgeZ06

To make your car look new again, you would have to find a detailer that knows how to perform "paint correction & restoration" work. It involves the use of a machine buffer and in some cases, wet sanding. The process of paint correction will remove light scratches, swirl marks, oxidation, and all of the other defects that makes your paint look dull, dirty, or just plain "old."

Ā 

Opti-Coat is used as a topper to seal in the shine. It should be applied after the paint correction work and will help in retaining the shine for as long as possible. Check out this video to see how much of a difference paint correction can do to your car:

Ā 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cmfRQ1IEA

To make your car look new again, you would have to find a detailer that knows how to perform "paint correction & restoration" work. It involves the use of a machine buffer and in some cases, wet sanding. The process of paint correction will remove light scratches, swirl marks, oxidation, and all of the other defects that makes your paint look dull, dirty, or just plain "old."

Ā 

Opti-Coat is used as a topper to seal in the shine. It should be applied after the paint correction work and will help in retaining the shine for as long as possible. Check out this video to see how much of a difference paint correction can do to your car:

Ā 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cmfRQ1IEA

How expensive is it usually?

Depends on how skilled the detailer is and the condition of the paint. Without knowing the condition of your paint and assuming it will need a moderate-to-high amount of work done, I would say it would be in the $1000 range.

Ā 

I'm not really familiar with the prices in your area but since it snows there, you could get a great deal for paint correction work in the winter time.

okay thanks. I'm trying to determine what I want to do here....I don't mind spending the money but I want it to be on the right thing....most of the paint damage is little nicks and scratches on the doors and bumpers that you have to look close to see. My main issue is how dirty the car looks whenever it rains or just after a week of driving....

One of our members "Richy" Is a very well respected detailer. Ask him about paint correction and Im sure he can get you in contact with a qualified detailer in your area. He's one of the board of directors for Live2Detail.com Ask him about a new nano product called CQuartz. It's nano sized ceramic particles that adhere to your paints surface. After correction and polishing, you apply the CQuartz and it seals your paint much like Opti-coat. Users love it and with some routine maintenance it seems to last years.