Rear view camera guidelines are missing

I have a 2011 Edge limited. my backup camera sometimes has the lines and sometimes not. I find no correlation with anything that I'm doing.  The issue I recently had was after a 4 hour night time drive on a 72 degree night, I stopped to let someone out. Then when I put it in reverse, the image was grainy and looked like it was sprayed with white paint speckles. I immediately got out and cleaned it but it was still there.

So I read a few threads where people pulled the RVC out and replaced it, but in one thread, two different folks took the camera apart, one by cutting it and one by slicing between plastic halves. The guy who sliced it open, cleaned all the lenses (5 or 6 in there?) and worked good as new. I can't find that thread anymore.

When I took mine out, I found it was pretty well sealed together - one seal at the body and one seal where the lens case leaves the body. The real shocker was that it had a MFG date of 2013! So obviously it's been replaced having a part number of BT4T-19G490-AF (I bought the car used.) Taking it out was simple and I cleaned all the caked dust off of it, the connectors and cleaned the lightly scratched lens. It's daylight at the moment, but after putting it all together, it seems clear and the guidelines are on (including the black center line which sometimes goes away leaving only the side lines. I hope the night time speckled light scattering is gone but if anyone knows how to disassemble the camera module, that will be my next effort. I hope someone else has dismantled the camera module.

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Dmtaurus said:

I replaced my 2015 SEL Edge failed factory camera with a Dorman camera.  It works well but the guides that swing back and forth are out of sync with the steering wheel.  Any solution to this?  I did not see a camera calibration reset option in Forscan.

They changed the name of the function in ForScan. It is called “Local Interconnect Network New Module Calibration”. Try that and see if it works.

Has anyone tried pulling out a rear-view camera from a vehicle in a salvage yard and swapping the cameras?

I think I could do that much, but I am not sure if I could handle updating the software, if that would become necessary.

My question is... if you swap out the cameras, do you also need to reinitialize the software to recognize the installation of the second camera?

• 6 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, candurin said:

Happy to report new camera works perfect, guidelines and all.  Took about 45 minutes total, including FORScan programming (reset PAM module and initialized camera).

Is the programming/camera initialization something that you can do yourself, or do you have to take it to a dealer?

From what I have read the wizards at Forscan have no desire to try and get aftermarket cameras to work with the factory rear-view set-up.  Also, I installed a Dorman camera to replace the failed Ford camera and the white steering lines don't display correctly.  I took the vehicle to the dealer for a recall and they updated Sync and they said they got the camera to work right for about 10 minutes and then it went back to the steering line error.  I tried Forscan but the programming timed out after 8% completion.

I wrote Dorman and got a reply that they would try their camera in a test mule Edge to verify the white line error if I sent them the last 5 or 6 digits of the VIN, which I did.  That was last October.  I just wrote them several weeks ago and they still haven't done the experiment.  Given the state of the world I don't know if they will ever get to it.  But the thing I do know is that after 2 separate tries with new Dorman cameras they are not a drop-in replacement and they don't work right.