Center main screen brightness

I have noticed and I'm not quite sure of the path to cause this to happen but I do know how to make it "correct" itself.

At night I like to have the interior lights low. A few times I noticed that the center screen was almost as bright as it was during the day and certainly brighter than the instrument cluster.

When I find it in the mode, you can go into Display -> Screen -> Brightness offset. Mine is all the way down to the left.

If I press the right hand button, making it brighter, it actually snaps to the much dimmer setting. Then every thing is as I expect it should be as far as the brightness equalization between the screens.

I "think" I've noticed this more often when I've started backing and while backing, turned my headlights on. this would place the center screen in rear view camera mode (equipped) and the light would power on, but the center would not be in its standard display to be dimmed ... although it does go dim on the camera view ... I suspect that the system checks for the brightness setting at certain times that may be bypassed if you use system a certain way or order.

.... has any one else noticed this ? (you're not crazy)