New guy from NY

SDotNYC

Hey everyone,

Just dropping in, recently got a 2013 SEL Appearance pkg in ruby red. I've always been a part of forums with whatever cars I've owned and learned from all of them (prelude,jetta,tsx,cbr600,etc.) I'll be on here mostly reading but any time I can lend an answer to anyone I won't hesitate. Looking forward to the experience.

Thanks,

Sean

Hey Sean,

Watched the video, looks like this is something tha has to be applied every 6 month, so mark it on your calender. Most protectants give 3-4 months good protection, some a bit more. There are some products that can give you 2 years protection, but you have to be careful with applicaion. Is this 'autobutler" something the dealer "threw in" the deal, or an optional package you paid for. Well, at least you're good for the next 6 months ! :yahoo:

Sean

I don't know how much you are into cars, but if you are, ask Santa to get you a D.A. Orbital polisher. Porter Cable has a nice one, available at

AUTOGEEK or Griots garage also has one that's nice too. If you are near a BJ's, they run sales on the Griots. One thing with the Collinite, instructions say to apply to a warm surface. Don't know where you are in N.Y., but winter is here, so it's kind of on the cool side. I have a propane heater for the garage, so I have it nice and warm. It can be 23 outside, and it's 73 in the garage, working with a T-shirt on. Gotta luv it !

HAHA Joe you are absolutely right about the winters, I didn't see that part about the temperature thanks for the heads up. I had a nice polisher but that got destroyed amongst a ton of other tools and belongings with the B*&^H Hurricane Sandy! dammit.. I never checked out BJ's for detailing products, I guess I should! I hate to go places like that around holiday time. All those crazy people shopping leads me to amazon lol.

Congrats Sean, hope it makes up for your storm troubles! Love the color, my favourite color - had a Cherry Red 2011 Jeep Compass before our white 2013 SEL app pack, and also had a Cherry Red Fiat Bravo in the UK before that. Myself and my wife have never had a white car before so went with that this time. Good luck with it

You do know you're not waxing the colored paint. It has a clear coat over it. You are only waxing the clear coat. Here in Florida where we don't have snow and salted roads, I see no reason to wax my Edge until a year or so, when clear coat is not quite so bright. Then I will probably use a cheap spray on easily applied Dollar Tree wax once a year....something like Turtle Wax. I suppose it doesn't hurt anything to wax it though. Of course, my vehicle sits in a garage.

Far more important is to keep the dirt and salt washed off, both underneath and on body. Especially flush areas behind trim, etc. Don't forget to treat rubber trim, it gets brittle with age.

Edited by RJG

common sense that the car has clear coat and it makes all the sense in the world to have a protective coat of wax on top of the clear coat so you don't have to wait til the "clear coat is not quite so bright" :doh: A good coat of a good wax will prolong the nice appearance of your car. Even in Florida with the stronger sun rays you can get sun fade and what not.