2013 Canadian DRL to HID test results

normcloutier

I am converting to HID and I wanted to know what voltage and current the halogen headlights operated at to ensure existing wiring was adequate for the ballasts so I ran some tests.

Here are the results for my vehicle.

Headlights on full 14 volts and 4.3 amps

Headlights on DRL 10 volts and 3.3 amps

So if you are running a kit on existing wiring without a harness, you have to make sure the ballasts will work at 10 volts.

Edited by normcloutier

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Norm

I have a 2011 Edge and just changed my halogen to HID. The kit I got from DDM Tning doesnt work with the DRL system. The only way to run the lights in the day is to turn full on.

I have found in further reading that a large capacitor may resolve. I will try this in the next few weeks and report back.

By the way, it isnt the voltage being lowered is the issue, its the fact that the full system voltage is pulsed at 60%. This means that when the ballast cant take the on and off voltage pulses, they flicker badly and dont fire.

Let me know if you need more info, I have spent a lot of time researching the issues with DRLs and HIDs.

Cheers,

Thomas

I purchased my kit from absolutehid.ca and so far so good. The ballasts are canbus and work with the DRL reduced voltage during the day. I haven't permanently mounted the ballasts yet. I was waiting to see how they perform before mounting them.

I went with a 35 watt kit. I didn't want to deal with the harness. The kit comes with HIR2/9012 lamps so they just popped right in. I am pleased with the kit so far. Not a single flicker or fail to light.

Only thing I noticed is a slight wire shadow on the passenger side beam. The tabs on the lamp are all different sizes so I don't think I can rotate them. I'll get my inspection scope out to look at the back of the socket and see if the female slots are all different like the bulb.

I can't comment on the company yet because it's been too short of a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I bought a TRS HID kit 3 weeks ago. I installed it and I had flicking problems. I ordered an Canbus kit and I will try to check if they works. But I did some research on net, and some people connect the HID kit on corner. So if you put the headlight on auto mode, you don't have DRL, but the headlight with your HID and corner open when you need it. You can install the the Daytime Brightlites led to keep some DRL.

I purchased my kit from absolutehid.ca and so far so good. The ballasts are canbus and work with the DRL reduced voltage during the day. I haven't permanently mounted the ballasts yet. I was waiting to see how they perform before mounting them.

I went with a 35 watt kit. I didn't want to deal with the harness. The kit comes with HIR2/9012 lamps so they just popped right in. I am pleased with the kit so far. Not a single flicker or fail to light.

Only thing I noticed is a slight wire shadow on the passenger side beam. The tabs on the lamp are all different sizes so I don't think I can rotate them. I'll get my inspection scope out to look at the back of the socket and see if the female slots are all different like the bulb.

I can't comment on the company yet because it's been too short of a time.

Hey Norm,

Concerning your wire shadow, it sounds to me like you somehow were able to fit a square peg through a round hole ;-). When you inserted the bulb, the tabs did not match up, so the return wire is not positioned correctly. Here's a diagram I made of the proper tab orientation:

Bulbsocketinstructions2.jpg

(How are my LED puddle lights working out for you?)

My lamps have different tabs than what you show. Is your diagram from a HIR2/9012 lamp?

The tabs on my OEM and HID lamps are identical. I re-installed the HID lamp exactly like the OEM. There is no chance to misalign it as the tabs would not fit. You would literally have to "put a square peg in a round hole".

I just had a look at the HID lamps and the wires are not exactly in the same location on the lamp. When I re-install them, I'll swap them sides. That may help. Will put the shadow to the outside of the beam.

The puddle lights are awesome. The color matches my license plate and interior LED color perfectly. I purposely unlock my doors from afar in a parking lot so that they light up the snow. People really notice them.

• 8 months later...

Hey everyone, Dan especially...I have the Daytime Brightlites DRL Edge 2 kit and I also have HID's on my 2013 Edge Sport, and something isn't working correctly. I've been researching this, and I'm wondering if the dealership changed something when they added my HID kit that is causing the DRL kit to not work. Dan and I did some testing and I can get them to come on when I supply them with constant power from the positive battery terminal, or a fuse that's on all of the time. However, if I use a fuse that should only be on with the ignition...nothing! Has anyone else been able to run an HID kit along with DRL pipes or the Edge 2 kit from Daytime Brightlites? Thanks in advance for any info!