Replaced rear wheel bearings-now ABS engages when stopping over 5 mph.

I replaced both rear wheel bearings and knew the speed sensors usually break. I was able to remove both without breaking them. I used Moog hubs and the hole for the abs speed sensor was too small. I then took a 13/32 drill bit and carefully made the hole bigger since it is just plastic. The sensors then fit nicely. However when I took it for a test drive and stopped anything over 5 mph the ABS kicks on (there is no lights and seems like there is more noise from the abs kicking on, on the driver side). I then removed both sensors and put them back on, samething. I looked in a Chiltons repair and it said to torque the little bolts that hold the sensors to 62 ft lbs (seems like way too much). I could not find any special re-learn or any special install procedure. I tightened the bolts more and still same issue. Anyone know?? I hate to say both are bad and buy new ones. In the meantime I disconnected the driverside sensor and the ABS and TC is now disengaged but it brakes fine, just no ABS.

Surferd15:

I've attached some excerpts from the "official repair manual". The sensor attachment bolt should be torqued to 80 in-lbs, that's inch not foot. So 80/12 is about 6.5 feet, so 6.5 (six and a half) ft-lbs should do it. Even the official manual has a typo, the picture shows 80 in-lbs and the R and R instructions say 62 in-lbs.

The sensors are delicate, and their housings are plastic, perhaps the over torquing of the attachment bolt is deforming the plastic, causing an erratic signal to the ABS module.

Worst case, you may need to replace a sensor or two.

Good luck!

Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX Wheel Speed Sensors Pinpoint C7 and C8 test.pdf

Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX Wheel Speed Sensors Pinpoint D test.pdf

Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX Wheel Speed Sensors.pdf