OEM Navigation Radio Installation after purchase

When I purchased my 2007 Ford Edge SEL it was from Dealer Stock so I did not have theoption of which radio to choose. After a few weeks I decided to put in a Factory Ford Navigation Radio rather than go the aftermarket route.

I went on ebay and pruchased a unit which was from a 06/07 Explorer or Mountaineer, which has a Ford Part # 6L2T-18K931-BC. The Edge Ford Part #'s are 7T4T-18K931-BA and 7T4T-18K931-AG which are Premium or Audiophile units and would require no reprogramming to match the vehicle. I have seen one of these part #'s on an ebay auction. I am also attaching a PDF file that I used to help me with my radios search on ebay to make sure that I was getting the right plug configuration and mounting type.

The radio did not come with an antenna, so that was my next search. First I had to find the part # which specifically for the Edge is 7T4Z-10E893-A, although 8G1Z-10E893-A will also work. I found the antenna on Amazon.com through Troy Ford by entering in the base part # 10E893 in the search window.

The whole installation takes maybe 30 minutes and it is all plug and play. I will post pictures in the near future of the installation.

The best part about it is that all the factory items cost me less than buying a Pioneer or Kenwood Nav Radio! I am also going to change out the factory speakers with Kenwood speakers front and rear.

I hope this helps for anyone else looking to perform a similar upgrade to their Edge!

radio_guide.pdf

post-1516-1189883058_thumb.jpg

When I purchased my 2007 Ford Edge SEL it was from Dealer Stock so I did not have theoption of which radio to choose. After a few weeks I decided to put in a Factory Ford Navigation Radio rather than go the aftermarket route.

I went on ebay and pruchased a unit which was from a 06/07 Explorer or Mountaineer, which has a Ford Part # 6L2T-18K931-BC. The Edge Ford Part #'s are 7T4T-18K931-BA and 7T4T-18K931-AG which are Premium or Audiophile units and would require no reprogramming to match the vehicle. I have seen one of these part #'s on an ebay auction. I am also attaching a PDF file that I used to help me with my radios search on ebay to make sure that I was getting the right plug configuration and mounting type.

The radio did not come with an antenna, so that was my next search. First I had to find the part # which specifically for the Edge is 7T4Z-10E893-A, although 8G1Z-10E893-A will also work. I found the antenna on Amazon.com through Troy Ford by entering in the base part # 10E893 in the search window.

The whole installation takes maybe 30 minutes and it is all plug and play. I will post pictures in the near future of the installation.

The best part about it is that all the factory items cost me less than buying a Pioneer or Kenwood Nav Radio! I am also going to change out the factory speakers with Kenwood speakers front and rear.

I hope this helps for anyone else looking to perform a similar upgrade to their Edge!

What did you pay for the factory nav unit you got off Ebay? We'd love to see some pictures before, during, and after the install if you're up to it.

Did you have to have this unit reprogrammed to work in the Edge?

• 3 weeks later...
The unit I bought seems to be functioning properly. The only difference is a Mercury Log instead of a Ford Logo when the radio is first turned on. My radion was out of a Mercury Mountaineer.

Hey, I just bought a navigation system off ebay as well. It was from a mercury mountaineer and has the same model number as yours, except it ends with AJ instead of BC. From the PDF you attached, it appears they are identical.

I am putting this unit into my 2006 Ford Fusion with the audiophile option, are the nav systems we bought pre programed for the audiophile option and do the steering wheel controls work properly? I really dont want to spend the $100-200 that it would cost to reprogram it specifically for my car. If all it all works, I can live with the mercury logo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
any updates on the radio install and pics...?

Hey, I dont know if you were asking me, but I did install the factory nav system into my Fusion. I didnt bother getting the radio reflashed, it works fine. Installation took 15 minutes, removed the trim aroudn the radio, then just 4 screws held it in. Popped out the old radio, put in the new nav system and mounted the antenna. VERY easy. works like a charm!

Question on 2007 vs. 2008 OEM Nav radio..... The only difference I notice is the "Phone" button on the 2008 version.

I have a 2007 Edge and want to add the nav system and would like to get the most advanced one that will work with my car. I assume the phone button works with bluetooth?? Do you need Mobile-Ease?

Any help is appreciated.... Todd

Edited by boilerfan4

Question on 2007 vs. 2008 OEM Nav radio..... The only difference I notice is the "Phone" button on the 2008 version.

I have a 2007 Edge and want to add the nav system and would like to get the most advanced one that will work with my car. I assume the phone button works with bluetooth?? Do you need Mobile-Ease?

Any help is appreciated.... Todd

The 2008 nav systems that work with bluetooth are the cars already equiped with sync. If you want bluetooth to work on your 2007 edge with the nav system, you could buy mobile-ease, but that is VERY expensive, plus it is not entirely integrated as it has a separate control pod.

Id suggest checking out a parrot bluetooth kit, I am going to get one very soon. If you get a harness adaptor then it will plug right in, it also has a screen for caller id... all for under $200. Great deal if you ask me. Also, I'm sure you could find a better place to mount the control module, remember, you will still have one to place if you get the mobile-ease

Installation link:

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=95937.0

Parts Pricing....

I bought the same exact nav receiver mentioned above on ebay for $650.

I found the 6P (2008) disc on ebay for $70 including shipping. I saw $149 posted in another thread.

I found the antenna for $70. See website below.

Great site to check out OEM parts: www.radiosandmore.com

(and no, I don't own the site)

Parts Pricing....

I bought the same exact nav receiver mentioned above on ebay for $650.

I found the 6P (2008) disc on ebay for $70 including shipping. I saw $149 posted in another thread.

I found the antenna for $70. See website below.

Great site to check out OEM parts: www.radiosandmore.com

(and no, I don't own the site)

Sweet, ebay is the greatest if you wait for a good deal. I got my gps for $640 and it came with the 3P disc and the antenna, I'm just going to wait for anewer nav disc since they just opened a new section of a highway by me that I doubt is on 6P. $70 seems alittle steep, I noticed they went for under $25 on ebay and there were quite a few of them.

Sweet, ebay is the greatest if you wait for a good deal. I got my gps for $640 and it came with the 3P disc and the antenna, I'm just going to wait for anewer nav disc since they just opened a new section of a highway by me that I doubt is on 6P. $70 seems alittle steep, I noticed they went for under $25 on ebay and there were quite a few of them.

You're right.... key word is patience (and I don't have any). If you're willing to wait, you can definitely get a better deal.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is, does anyone know if this is different at all, or if part numbers are different in order to get the Factory NAV to work with SYNC in an 08 EDGE?

The 2008 P/N is close to the same. Instead of 7T4T-18K931-BA for the 2007, its 8T4T-18K931 for the audiophile versions of NAV. I think there is a website that has it for $1260 or so on www.radiosandmore.com with free shipping. There might be other places but i couldnt find one this week in the good ol ebay.

• 1 month later...
The 2008 P/N is close to the same. Instead of 7T4T-18K931-BA for the 2007, its 8T4T-18K931 for the audiophile versions of NAV. I think there is a website that has it for $1260 or so on www.radiosandmore.com with free shipping. There might be other places but i couldnt find one this week in the good ol ebay.

So, the 8T4T-18K931 would definitely work w/Sync? I found an entry on eBay which is titled: NEW FORD EDGE MKX NAVIGATION KIT 07 08 NAV. It lists Bluetooth, satellite, back up camera, ipod integration, hd capability and video capability. It shows a video of the nav radio after a video interface installation. I'm entirely skeptical but at the same time this would do everything I'm looking for IF Sync would still work w/it.

I've got an '08 Limited w/Sync installed but now I'm wishing that I'd gotten the touch screen interface. I've been looking heavily at the Avic-Z2 but am reluctant to get it because of all of the issues listed w/the steering wheel controls. At the same time, I really like the unit and would forego Sync if I knew it would integrate w/out issues. What I'd really like is a factory nav that would work w/Sync and also plays DVDs with a video out to connect to headrest monitors. (My kids are too young to read to put in a DVD and use a remote to navigate the menu to play the disk w/the headrests w/built-in DVDs.)

I think I've read every post in this forum about the Z2/D3 and the lack of support for video and/or getting an OEM to work after the fact w/Sync but I'm still waffling. If anyone can shed any light either way I'd be very grateful! Thanks.

I just had the dealer install the Navigation system in my 08 Edge. The Sync still works but one thing has me bringing it back to them to look at again. The sound system does not sound NEARLY as good as it used to. I went over to the subwoofer that is in the back of the vehicle and it does not sound like it is working and all the audio sounds pretty flat.

The part that they installed according to the system info screen is 8E5T-18K931-CA. I cant find anything on that part. I am wondering if that is the navigation with the Audiophile sound system. My previous radio had that and it sounded great. Does any one have access to info on that part above.

I looked at the most recent parts list for FACTORY parts were 8T4T-18K931-BA for Nav w/o Audiophile and 8T4T-18K931-AG for Nav with Audiophile.

• 2 weeks later...
I just had the dealer install the Navigation system in my 08 Edge. The Sync still works but one thing has me bringing it back to them to look at again. The sound system does not sound NEARLY as good as it used to. I went over to the subwoofer that is in the back of the vehicle and it does not sound like it is working and all the audio sounds pretty flat.

The part that they installed according to the system info screen is 8E5T-18K931-CA. I cant find anything on that part. I am wondering if that is the navigation with the Audiophile sound system. My previous radio had that and it sounded great. Does any one have access to info on that part above.

I looked at the most recent parts list for FACTORY parts were 8T4T-18K931-BA for Nav w/o Audiophile and 8T4T-18K931-AG for Nav with Audiophile.

Did you start out with just the 6 disk changer w/Sync and then added the factory nav into your '08? I talked to my dealer and they said that they couldn't do that. I'd like to add factory nav but from everything that I read it screws up Sync and won't work anymore.

So, the 8T4T-18K931 would definitely work w/Sync? I found an entry on eBay which is titled: NEW FORD EDGE MKX NAVIGATION KIT 07 08 NAV. It lists Bluetooth, satellite, back up camera, ipod integration, hd capability and video capability. It shows a video of the nav radio after a video interface installation. I'm entirely skeptical but at the same time this would do everything I'm looking for IF Sync would still work w/it.

I've got an '08 Limited w/Sync installed but now I'm wishing that I'd gotten the touch screen interface. I've been looking heavily at the Avic-Z2 but am reluctant to get it because of all of the issues listed w/the steering wheel controls. At the same time, I really like the unit and would forego Sync if I knew it would integrate w/out issues. What I'd really like is a factory nav that would work w/Sync and also plays DVDs with a video out to connect to headrest monitors. (My kids are too young to read to put in a DVD and use a remote to navigate the menu to play the disk w/the headrests w/built-in DVDs.)

I think I've read every post in this forum about the Z2/D3 and the lack of support for video and/or getting an OEM to work after the fact w/Sync but I'm still waffling. If anyone can shed any light either way I'd be very grateful! Thanks.

Unless it has SYNC built in, you will no longer have it after the install. The way it was explained to me when I told the dealer I wanted my old truck back after losing the functionality is that SYNC is built into the stereo. Of course, it would not be the first thing the dealer was wrong about.

I had the regular 6 disk audiophile stereo, I had SYNC. I had them put in the Navigation after the fact, they were able to do this and SYNC still worked. SYNC is a bit different tho. First you go through the voice of the navigation system which is not as nice sounding. But it does work.

Did you start out with just the 6 disk changer w/Sync and then added the factory nav into your '08? I talked to my dealer and they said that they couldn't do that. I'd like to add factory nav but from everything that I read it screws up Sync and won't work anymore.

I had the regular 6 disk audiophile stereo, I had SYNC. I had them put in the Navigation after the fact, they were able to do this and SYNC still worked. SYNC is a bit different tho. First you go through the voice of the navigation system which is not as nice sounding. But it does work.

Where did you get this done? I would like to have our dealer call them. We had our 08 limited delivered today and had the Nav system added today as well. Wife and I needed roof rails for Kayaks so no Vista roof. However, you can't get nav without Vista on 08 from factory. We got in the car and none of the buttons on the steering wheel worked. No volume, no seek, and NO SYNC. They dogged around for a while, then said they think it needs a new download into the column's module. They did so and now the volume and seek work but still NO SYNC. They say they called Ford and Ford is aware of problem and are working on a retro kit. We are at a loss, because we can refuse delivery and walk away or hold our breath and hope the retro kit comes in eventually. We are extremely frustrated as we waited 6 weeks for a car that is not what we wanted. The whole point of ordering the car is that we were assured that the OEM Nav system was the same as the factory and that everything would work just fine. :banghead:

I will also agree that the audiophile system is very flat with no bass. I hope that that is correctable as well.

THanks in advance for your input

I got it done at Marcotte Ford in Holyoke Massachusetts. GREAT dealer.

Where did you get this done? I would like to have our dealer call them. We had our 08 limited delivered today and had the Nav system added today as well. Wife and I needed roof rails for Kayaks so no Vista roof. However, you can't get nav without Vista on 08 from factory. We got in the car and none of the buttons on the steering wheel worked. No volume, no seek, and NO SYNC. They dogged around for a while, then said they think it needs a new download into the column's module. They did so and now the volume and seek work but still NO SYNC. They say they called Ford and Ford is aware of problem and are working on a retro kit. We are at a loss, because we can refuse delivery and walk away or hold our breath and hope the retro kit comes in eventually. We are extremely frustrated as we waited 6 weeks for a car that is not what we wanted. The whole point of ordering the car is that we were assured that the OEM Nav system was the same as the factory and that everything would work just fine. :banghead:

I will also agree that the audiophile system is very flat with no bass. I hope that that is correctable as well.

THanks in advance for your input