OEM Navigation Radio Installation after purchase

I got it done at Marcotte Ford in Holyoke Massachusetts. GREAT dealer.

My dealer called your dealer today and apparently the guy who know whats going on is not in until Monday. They are going to call back then and hopefully we can get things fixed. Right now everything works but we have two dead buttons on the column. No Sync and no Steering wheel phone button. We can send and receive calls through the Nav system, but cannot use any voice commands at all...again just a set of dead buttons on the column.

Thanks again and we'll keep our fingers crossed.

I got it done at Marcotte Ford in Holyoke Massachusetts. GREAT dealer.

My dealer called your dealer today and apparently the guy who know whats going on is not in until Monday. They are going to call back then and hopefully we can get things fixed. Right now everything works but we have two dead buttons on the column. No Sync and no Steering wheel phone button. We can send and receive calls through the Nav system, but cannot use any voice commands at all...again just a set of dead buttons on the column.

Thanks again and we'll keep our fingers crossed.

• 7 months later...
I just had the dealer install the Navigation system in my 08 Edge. The Sync still works but one thing has me bringing it back to them to look at again. The sound system does not sound NEARLY as good as it used to. I went over to the subwoofer that is in the back of the vehicle and it does not sound like it is working and all the audio sounds pretty flat.

The part that they installed according to the system info screen is 8E5T-18K931-CA. I cant find anything on that part. I am wondering if that is the navigation with the Audiophile sound system. My previous radio had that and it sounded great. Does any one have access to info on that part above.

I looked at the most recent parts list for FACTORY parts were 8T4T-18K931-BA for Nav w/o Audiophile and 8T4T-18K931-AG for Nav with Audiophile.

Can any of you guys recommend where i can find the parts list for the 08 models. Ive been looking to get a navigation system online but am a little confisued with all the model numbers i am getting.

even if you have a few recommended model numbers you can swing my way.

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...

I realize that this is an old post, however has anyone else tried this swap with the correct factory nav unit and was there any issues?

I am looking at a MKX w/out the nav and I found a nav out of the same year from a yard.

Edited by MinnDuc

• 1 month later...

I realize that this is an old post, however has anyone else tried this swap with the correct factory nav unit and was there any issues?

I am looking at a MKX w/out the nav and I found a nav out of the same year from a yard.

I did make the swap. The GPS worked even without an external GPS antenna, however the clock and some other features wouldn't work. I then purchased and installed the external GPS antenna that plugs into the back and everything works fine, no need to do anything else. IT is really sweet.

OUT

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a swap my '08 SE, it had the standard single disc radio with Sync / Sirius / MP3 + USB input etc.

I put in part # 8T4T-18K931-BA (Nav unit / 6 disc / Sync / Sirius) and 8T4T-10E983-AA (GPS Antenna) and 8L2T-10E987-AF (8p Nav dvd)

Dash removal was simple. The original radio had only 2 plugs going to it, Nav unit needed 3. After freaking out for a second I looked in the dash and in the back was the 3rd plug I needed...they must all be wired for it. Whew!

Everything works fine but the Sync/voice buttons on the steering wheel. You can still use the bluetooth phone + MP3/USB etc. connection but just not through the steering wheel buttons. All of that can be done on the touch screen.

From what I understand, this is a fixable issue done via programming to the Nav unit.

Not really that big of a deal to me...

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 08 MKX that came with the 6cd radio ad wanted to upgrade to nav. So i found a 08 MKX with nav. and got the navigation unit and antenna out of it and swapped everything out. Now I cant change the volume. All the steering wheel controls but the sync button work and the volume always stays the same. The volume bar goes up and down just the volume doesnt change. I have taken it in to two dealers to have it reprogrammed but neither have been able to do it. Does anyone have any info I can share with them that might make it easier for them to know what to do. I'm guessing they haven't done it before and dont know where to start. To me it sounds like it should be fairly easy to do. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a swap my '08 SE, it had the standard single disc radio with Sync / Sirius / MP3 + USB input etc.

I put in part # 8T4T-18K931-BA (Nav unit / 6 disc / Sync / Sirius) and 8T4T-10E983-AA (GPS Antenna) and 8L2T-10E987-AF (8p Nav dvd)

Dash removal was simple. The original radio had only 2 plugs going to it, Nav unit needed 3. After freaking out for a second I looked in the dash and in the back was the 3rd plug I needed...they must all be wired for it. Whew!

Everything works fine but the Sync/voice buttons on the steering wheel. You can still use the bluetooth phone + MP3/USB etc. connection but just not through the steering wheel buttons. All of that can be done on the touch screen.

From what I understand, this is a fixable issue done via programming to the Nav unit.

Same problem with my '08 Explorer... I'm wondering what will happen if I update sync. On Ford's sync page, you have to tell them whether you have the nav or no nav. What if I download the new sync software for the vehicle with nav and install it?

This post is for anyone installing a navigation radio in a non navigation vehicle with sync. I recently purchased a navigation radio from a lincoln mkx off ebay for 525.00, pt#8a1t-18k931-ca. for my 2008 ford edge. The antenna was 95.00 from amazon, which I later found cheaper, 75.00 from tasca ford parts. When I installed the radio THX came up on the screen. My subwoofer no longer worked, the volume could not be adjusted and 2 buttons on the steering wheel, voice and phone did'nt work. I took the radio to Chicago Parts & Sound in Wood Dale IL. to have it reprogramed for 100.00. I was informed that reprograming would not restore voice commands. For a total cost of 400.00 the radio was reprogramed to show the ford logo and get the subwoofer to work. The face of the radio was changed from lincoln silver to ford black and rewiring was done to restore voice commands. The steering wheel switch also had to be chaned to one from a navigation vehicle. The whole job took a little over an hour, so im guessing that the rewiring is minor? Anyway everthing works great, but you could save yourself some money if you find a radio from the same vehicle with the same features as yours, no reprogram costs. Total cost for this project was about a thousand dollars, still cheaper than two grand that the factory installed radio would be.

• 4 months later...

I need some help. I have a 2009 ford edge and i purchased the aftermarket nav/dvd system. I am trying to install it and i don't know how to take the dash off and do it. I have never done anything like this before. It says it is plug and play but I don't want to break anything. Any ideas?? Please help. Thanks

I need some help. I have a 2009 ford edge and i purchased the aftermarket nav/dvd system. I am trying to install it and i don't know how to take the dash off and do it. I have never done anything like this before. It says it is plug and play but I don't want to break anything. Any ideas?? Please help. Thanks

just did this yesterday as I bought a radio with nav system, amazingly enough the whole round console where the radio is located is held with 4 large pressure clips so if you pull it up towards you it will snap off at least one of the four clips. I have the book at home so ica n scan some pictures and post them here, it;s really easy.

• 3 months later...

I too consider to purchase a used 8T4T-18K931-BA factory NAV unit. The seller claims it is from a 2008 Expedition. I already took the original radio out to check the plugs and connectors, those would all match. This was really amazingly easy.

So have you eventually had your unit program to work with Sync/the steering wheel buttons?

Where do you guys place the GPS antenna? If I google for the part no. you stated for the antenna, nothing comes up.. so I'm guessing this number is not accurate.

The unit I am looking to buy has the original antenna included, without the metal base plate though. Would you guys suggest a different (better) antenna?

And what is Audiophile? How can I find out if my vehicle has it?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Just picked up a 2008 Ford Edge Limited. Bought a Ford Navigation Audiophile Unit (8T4T-18K931-BA)from OEM AutoParts Co. in Orlando, FL. Matched my Trim Level, Included a new Antenna, Updated Map Disk, Programmed to my VIN, and SYNC Ready for $1,000.00 - Thought that was a good deal. hopefully I'll be doing the install tomorrow, any words of advise on where to install the GPS antenna? Are most of you keeping the original radio or selling it?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I did this in our 2010 MKX... switched out the standard radio w/ 6 CD, etc for the OEM Nav unit... see my post

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12015-nav-swap-for-2010-mkx/?do=findComment&comment=93822

It was expensive, but most of the cost was the unit itself, and I know I could have bought cheaper... but the vendor i used took care of programming and everything.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2008 ford edge. I installed an OEM nav unit but cant get the SYNC to work. The ford dealer says that i need a new Sync board that comes at a cost of $1500. there has to be a way to get the sync unit already installed to talk to the new Nav system?

they claim the programming was all done and updated but still not working. Anyone have any similar issues? please help