Limited visibility out the back window

lupinus

2013 Edge SEL. Had it 3 days. Backing out of your place in the parking lot is difficult. The back window is very small anyway; the headrests on the second row almost obscure what visibility there is; the solid piece at the back corners, on either side of the back windshield, is very wide. The windshield is placed very high and blocks vision behind you. I think it would be impossible to parallel park. I would like to remove the second row headrests and saw instructions for a 2011. I tried and couldn't do it. Has anyone done this on a 2013?

Yes, I removed the second row headrests from my 2013 Limited within two days of owning it. You will see on the outboard side of each headrest a tab which you push in to raise or lower the headrest. You will need to push this in while pulling the headrest upwards. This will release that side only.

On the inboard side post there is another tab, but it does not stick out like the other side. Look closely near the rear of that tab and you will see a small hole, about 1/8 inch in diameter. You might have to push down on the seat material by the base in order to see the hole. You need to push something into that hole (I used a drill bit). It must go into the hole and push the lock mechanism which is inside the round base cover on the other side of the cover.

The tab alone does not release the post on that side and in fact just using the drill bit will release it. Pushing straight in with a drill bit about 1 inch will release that lock mechanism and you can pull that side of the headrest up.

With both sides released you can pull the headrest off. I didn't remove the center headrest which is attached differently. It is small enough that it doesn't affect my rear vision.

Edited by ls973800