MKX engine tick and knock

dirkh

We have a 2012 Lincoln MKX with the 3.7L engine. We have heard a ticking and knocking noise at cold start up from day one. The noise usually goes away within 10 min. The dealership first said they did not hear the noise. Then when the service manager heard it he said "I had no idea it hammered that loudly. Something is definately wrong." Now they write on our paperwork "no unusual noises heard, ticking noises are normal due to thick oil and parts clearances." We have also been told Ford is working on it and the dealership is not to attempt repairs at this time. Is there anyone else having these same concerns?

we have a 2013 edge awd ltd with the same issue. took it in the first time and was told it comes from the factory with a lower viscosity oil and we should do an oil change to see if that corrects the problem. which it did not. took it right back, dealer had it for over 30 days because the cylinder head and cam shaft needed to be replaced and something was on back order. it wasn't till i called ford corp office that the part suddenly appeared a week later. however, within 250 miles, the issue is still there. been trying to get in touch with my case manager at ford who hasn't returned a call to me since November. I've called her 5-10 times a day leaving 4 different telephone numbers to call and yet she still can't call back. Today, the dealer tells us it's the catalytic converter. This vehicle has 5500 miles on it and you're telling us the catalyic converter's bad too? Ok, we're not idiots. In addition to the engine issues, the rear liftgate is cupped so bad, it's not flush with the body of the car which makes for more noise inside and exhaust smells. the body guy says it gets worse every time you open and close it. And we paid how much for this? I regret the day we signed on the dotted line. While i love the ride and comfort, i don't love paying for something the dealer has more than me and soemthing I'm not sure i can rely on for years to come. And if the non responsiveness from Amanda Nash ext 77720 at the corp office is how they treat there customers, im amazed anyone wants to do business with ford. I certainly feel we got the short end of the stick. We contacted the BBB auto line in Wi yesterday, hopefully we'll get some help there.

• 8 months later...

Same problem here. 2013 AWD Edge. From day one.

Dealer said it was probably just a sticky tappet that would go away after a couple thousand km (after break-in). Still doing it at 3500.

I've been a hot rod builder for years (not professionally) and I've built many engines. Knocking is seldom ever benign. Knocking is one part hitting another. If it's a mechanical noise it's got to be doing some damage it all likelyhood.

Edited by rduval

• 2 months later...

I have a new 2013 Ford Edge Limited. It only has 5500 miles on it. My husband use to build cars. We both noticed the knocking the same time about a few weeks ago. It is very loud when the engine is cold and then it fades after a few minuets. Although it is still slight. I also noticed a small cloud of smoke this morning at start up. I will video tape the start up tomorrow to show the dealership. Because by the time I take it down there it will be gone. ...Keep you posted...this doesn't seem like a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds normal for a cold engine usually it is the valves that need to lubricate themselves,

For instantce modern valves have there own lubrication system but if the engine has been switched of for a while the oild drains from the valve.

When the engine is cold the oil gets syrupie and takes longer time to reach the valve

The valves than operates more or less dry (there is some residual lubrication so it is not damaging)

That creates the ticking noise