Tap into entry lighting wiring to intstall LED strips under dash.

Hey Edge fans. I was wondering what is the easiest way to run some under the dash LED's so they come on automatically like all of my entry lights do?

Looking for a solution close to the floor board.

Also, would it be possible to wire these LED strips so they come on with entry and also maybe a switch to keep them on without having all of the dome and entry lights on?

Edited by buffaloedge

I wonder if the wire which is tapped into for the illuminated sill plate would be what you are looking for? If you search the board for the sill plates, I think there are several posts which show where the wires are and what color they are. I believe these provide 12+ when the door is opened. From what I recall without doing a search, the wires are behind the kick panels by the drivers and passengers feet on the outboard side.

When I installed my rear door puddle lights, I tapped into the puddle light wiring. That could work for you. It is a purple wire that is located in the side panels down by your feet on both sides. I have a picture at home somewhere that Ill try and find to post it, but I have posted it in the forums before. I'm pretty sure that post is gone because the thread was started by KC and all his threads were deleted in the past...

Thanks, Cellbine! The photo helps a lot. So I would tap the positive wire from the led's into that purple wire and ground the negative wire to any unpainted bolt under dash? Now is there any option (using your method) where I could also wire a switch to also have them on while driving as well? Thanks again!

• Like 1

Your wiring scenario is correct, positive to the purple wire and ground to a bolt, preferably bolted to the body of the car. As for the switch, it's definitely doable, but I'm not positive it would work with the puddle lights. When I was searching for that wire, I used a voltage tester and the bulb would only light up when the puddle lights were active. So that leads me to believe there would be no power going to it unless you unlocked your car or opened your doors.

Another option might be to tap into the map lights or dome lights. You could potentially use the map/dome light button (located next to your headlight dial) to act as your switch if it is incorporated into that system. I have never looked at how that is wired, but I imagine its possible. Then you could just use the built in switch and the lights would come on and fade off when the other lights do. Just a thought.

---Break--

I was just thinking that it might be better to tap into your dome light instead of your map lights. If you tap into your map lights and are driving at night, it could potentially be a hazard for the driver if it is tremendously bright in the cabin. But if you tap into your dome light, then the LEDs would only come one when you open/unlock the door or if you hit the dome button (which the driver would be in control of and can anticipate it coming on).

Edited by Cellbine

Thanks again for all of your help. I think I may just tap into the purple puddle light wire to light the led's. Now I have to check to see (i never noticed) if the puddle lights come on when you I turn on the cabin lights from the dial switch on my dash. I would like the led's to light if I hit that switch as well.

Not meaning to confuse the issue, but here is a link to a post about adding the illuminated sill plates and what wires to tie into. I believe the second post has the downloadable instruction manual, and the other posts have comments by owners who have done it. A purple wire is talked about.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/8315-it-is-hard-to-install-illuminated-door-sill-plates-ford-edge-2011/

Yes, I think there are two purple wires. Do not use the purple/orange wire. Also, what year is your Edge? Mine is 2011. Wiring may vary according to year. If you have a voltage tester, you can make a small cut to expose the wire to see if you have the correct one. If you have to right one, the bulb in the voltage tester will light up when you activate your puddle lights and turn off when the puddles go off.

To be honest, I did the mod several months ago so I don't really remember. It looks solid in the picture and its apart of the big bundle of wires. You will have to dig for it a little bit. I think there are only two purple wires in there.

One thing to remember here is to not get frustrated. If you don't have a wire tester, they are super cheap and if you live in the states I'm sure you can buy it anywhere at anytime. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-6-12V-Circuit-Tester-Indicator/dp/B003UHNMMS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1358538395&sr=8-7&keywords=wire+tester

When I tested the wires, I would hold the tester on the exposed wire while the puddle lights were one and kept it on there until the puddle lights turned off. The tester bulb will stay on until the lights go off. Thats how you know you have the right one.

Hey Guys, I FINALLY found the wire I am going to tap into. This wire does in fact control the puddle lights (exactly what I wanted)...At first looking at the wire, it looks almost OLIVE GREEN/VIOLATE instead of the GRAY/VIOLATE i discovered I needed to find on my 07 Edge. Once removing the electrical tape, the wire below the tape was in fact gray, just what I needed. The exposed wire was discolored so that initially confused me. I did end up using my test light. I was hesitant before because I didn't want to cute wires to run the test. I was able to probe pin 9 on plug (A) SJB. This is called Dome Supervision wire. Once doing so, I ran multiple tests with the light to make sure it lit and turned off everytime the puddle lights did. Thanks for all of your help, guys. Cant wait to wire this up when I get some nice weather and time.

Heres a couple of pics.

gallery_3715_428_76371.jpg

gallery_3715_428_155975.jpg

gallery_3715_428_235561.jpg

Edited by buffaloedge

Very cool. I'm happy you were able to work through it and find out what needs to be done. Wiring varies between years so it can be challenging sometimes, but feels good when you get it right. Your hard work is paying off and I hope your project turns out awesome.

Are you installing these LEDs to work as ambient lighting or just additional lighting when entering the vehicle?

Thanks Cellbine. I def want them to work with the entry part of things. That's why I wanted so bad to find this solution. NOW that I have it figured out, I would like to see if its possible to have these on (sometimes) while driving. I already have the initial strips wired to a switch I installed in my dash. I'm going to add more but first I will take care of wiring them now directly to the entry system wiring.

You could run an additional power wire from your switch to one of the 12v power wires in the harness.

Any need for a fuse or anything? Worried about power surge or something to the factory line that controls my dome supervision such as my puddle lights, etc...I was thinking of simply having those two hot lines tied into the LED's, just wasn't sure if it was safe for the factory wiring...

I would splice into the wire that is already running from the switch to the LED's with a wire coming from the factory harness controlling the dome supervision (puddle and interior lights). Is this safe and would this work to give me options of when the LED's are lit? I def want the car controlling them for entry (like other dome and puddle lights) but would also like the option to run them when the factory setup has turned the remaining entry and puddle lights off. The obvious answer would be to just use the dial switch to turn them back on but I obviously wouldnt want to be driving with the rest of the interior and puiddle lights on. I would appreciate anyones help on this. Below is a crude mockup of how I want to wire these.

gallery_3715_428_46827.jpg