2013 Edge Impressions and Reviews

06fg2si

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I wanted to get some information/reviews from Edge owners on the vehicle. I currently drive a 2011 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. I absolutely love the truck, but the gas is killing me (I get approximately 16-18MPG) and i'd like to have more space to fit people and my dog. Since I don't necessarily need a truck so I was thinking about trading it in on a new vehicle. I want to get something with 4 doors but still rides a little higher off the ground, good reliability and gets better gas mileage.

This lead me to the Ford Edge (i'm also looking at the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 and Nissan). The Edge is by far the best looking vehicle out of the lot, but i've been a Toyota/Honda guy for a long time and their reliability keeps me coming back.

I was hoping you guys could let me know of any issues/problems/concerns with these vehicles including recalls, TSB's and other. In addition, if you could give me an idea of the typical gas mileage I could expect as i've found that the EPA estimates aren't always the best (case in point, my truck). Thanks for the help.

I could go on and on about everything that's happened with my 2013 edge Eco boost. Gas mileage isn't what they advertise! I don't like the sync computer system they say they have tons of problems with it. I have a horrible smell on my ac that they can't fix. My breaks were just in getting replaced at 4000 miles. I could go on and on. I love the outside look and the inside is nice and comfortable. I personally for the $ would get something else!

Ford doesn't advertise your expected fuel economy. They advertise the EPA test fuel economy as required by law. Unless you drive EXACTLY like the EPA test you can't be sure that you'll get that fuel economy.

Ā 

That said a lot of 1.6L and 2.0L ecoboost owners seem to be getting lower than expected fuel economy. The jury is still out on whether there is a problem with the engine or the software or if it's just a difference in driving style, winter blend/E-10 fuel, etc.

Ā 

My suggestion is to find a suitable test loop near the dealer then do a test drive and reset the avg fuel economy on the trip computer and see what you get. You will see a slight increase after break-in (5K miles or so) but that would give you an idea of what to expect.

Ā 

The MFT problems are largely gone with the current version except for some isolated hardware problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my Edge since the summer of '11. There have been no warranty issues to date, nor have I had any issues with the My Ford Touch system. I have consistently achieved over 20 mpg in mixed, but mostly urban driving.

Ā 

I would recommend this vehicle without hesitation. The V6 version, though, as I have no firsthand knowledge of the 4-banger.

As far as reliability, I have major concerns regarding my experience with my 2011 Edge. As most have said, the SYNC system, when working properly, is great...However, even after numerous firmware updates, mine is still very unreliable. Constant reboots, missing data on the touch screen, and bluetooth that sometimes connects to the phone, and sometimes does not.

Ā 

My most recent reliability issue was the door ajar light coming on, for the driver's door. My Edge is just our of warranty, so I was not pleased to have to pay the dealer $487.00 to replace the driver's door switch. Unlike most manufacturers, who use a $4.00 spring loaded momentary jamb mounted switch, Ford, taking a cue from BMW, integrates the door switch into the door latch mechanism, which requires total dis-assembly of the door, in order to replace the latch/switch.

Ā 

This latest incident, along with the SYNC debacle has left a bad taste, so when the EDGE lease is up in a few months, I'm moving to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 2013 SEL since last May. Zero problems with it, including Sync. I'm a big guy and love the amount of room in this vehicle. Very comfortable to drive on long trips. I have the 3.5 V6 (FWD only) and get about 20 mpg in the city and close to 30 on the highway. I had a 4-cylinder Escape before this and the gas mileage was about the same so I'm quite satisfied with this car's mpg. And in the snow, its fine as long as you're careful (no snows). All in all, quite happy with it.

It's been my experience that many Ford products have a tendency to underestimate the mileage in the dash display. For example, my 11 Mustang consistently gets 1.5 mpg better mileage manually calculated than is shown in the dash display. My friend with a new Fusion has experienced a similar discrepancy with his mileage display.