New 20" wheels on my 2011 Edge

Shaun

Hey Friends,

I purchased my 2011 Ford Edge a little over a week ago and quickly searched out some new wheels since I was riding on stock 17's and just didn't like the look at all. I found a nice new set of chrome plated Ford OEM 20's wrapped in new Goodyear Wranger HP 245/50/r20 with TPMS sensors included for a very fair price from Joe at Detroit Wheel & Tire. I called Joe first to get the scoop on the setup... he was very informative, answered all of my questions, guaranteed everything he said, and was very knowledgeable about wheels and tires in general. He said the rims came directly from Ford, he purchased the manufacturer overstock from a new appearance package option that will soon be available from Ford dealers. The wheels are stamped "FoMoCo" on the inside and look amazing... for me the right mix of sporty and classy.

(check out the ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EDGE-20-CHROME-WHEELS-RIMS-TIRES-2011-2012-2013-/200901599717?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec6ab21e5&vxp=mtr)

Shipping was quick and they arrived unharmed. I put the wheels on yesterday and gave it a test drive. I could immediately tell the difference between the new 20's and the old 17's... now my Edge is much more responsive, smoother roll (like butter), and much quieter. I am very happy with the transformation from "Mommy-mobile" to "Daddy-mobile"!

Check out the before and after...

post-25855-0-07787700-1362496848_thumb.jpg

post-25855-0-56285700-1362496875_thumb.jpg

post-25855-0-45162300-1362496972_thumb.jpg

post-25855-0-84405100-1362496987_thumb.jpg

post-25855-0-77438300-1362497005_thumb.jpg

They look great!! Now lower it and it will really look awesome!!!!!!! I don't know why these SE versions sit so high. The others don't sit like that. Hated mine and put 20's on and it looked terrible, so I went with lowering it and love it. Take a look at my album, I have before and after wheels and lowering.

They look great!! Now lower it and it will really look awesome!!!!!!! I don't know why these SE versions sit so high. The others don't sit like that. Hated mine and put 20's on and it looked terrible, so I went with lowering it and love it. Take a look at my album, I have before and after wheels and lowering.

Mike...I checked your Edge out and love the lowered look of it, you were totally right. I bought the same wheels (on their way now) as Shaun and don't like the new look of it as much as he does. Could you please give me the parts list of what you bought or post a link to where you bought the parts to achieve that?

Also, when you did it, did you go with an increased spring rate?...how is the ride now compared to what is was like with the stock springs? When I lowered my Acura TL-S it looked awesome and handled like it was on rails...but the ride was hard as hell and I really don't want that with the Edge this time around. I figure I'll lower it, swap out the rotors for a set of drilled/slotted and put on new brakes all at the same time before I put on the wheels.

Thanks brother...

Mike...I checked your Edge out and love the lowered look of it, you were totally right. I bought the same wheels (on their way now) as Shaun and don't like the new look of it as much as he does. Could you please give me the parts list of what you bought or post a link to where you bought the parts to achieve that?

Also, when you did it, did you go with an increased spring rate?...how is the ride now compared to what is was like with the stock springs? When I lowered my Acura TL-S it looked awesome and handled like it was on rails...but the ride was hard as hell and I really don't want that with the Edge this time around. I figure I'll lower it, swap out the rotors for a set of drilled/slotted and put on new brakes all at the same time before I put on the wheels.

Thanks brother...

I would consider lowering mine... but my wife would probably kick my butt if I brought it up. It was a stretch talking her into spending $ on wheels when the car already had wheels. Ha-ha!

• Like 1

Yeah Shaun, those women folk can be a pain :-) They just don't understand.

Thanks Ironpeddler. i got them at Tire rack. H&R springs. All it needed was an alighnment. Ride is firmer, but I like that better having come from two previous sports sedans to this. Couldn't stand the factory ride. Not jarring at all. It handles much more like a sports sedan rather than a SUV. Seriously. The low profile v rated tires make a big difference to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yeah Shaun, those women folk can be a pain :-) They just don't understand.

Thanks Ironpeddler. i got them at Tire rack. H&R springs. All it needed was an alignment. Ride is firmer, but I like that better having come from two previous sports sedans to this. Couldn't stand the factory ride. Not jarring at all. It handles much more like a sports sedan rather than a SUV. Seriously. The low profile v rated tires make a big difference to.

Thanks for the info...I bought the H&R springs on your recommendation and now I'm just waiting on the new shocks to arrive. Then it's new brakes (painting the calipers black w/G2), rotors, shocks, springs, and the tire & wheel set up from Joe at Detroit Wheels.

I wasn't too sure about them until I seen the close up. They are awesome.

The Ford Logo in the center really makes it an official mod, instead of picking any old set of rims and throwing them on. Great find and great choice. Your Edge looks great.

Such a big style change too!

• 3 weeks later...