For$55 I got a retro fit kit from DDMTuning.com. I used the slim fit digital ballast in 5000k with a 55W bulb. For my 2011 Sport I bought the 9005 kit, but I see that a lot of people bought the 9006. Mine fit without modification, and look and work great. Don't forget the wiring harness which was only$13 extra and to re-align your lamp height after install. Simple instructions on that procedure in your owners manual.

Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. Most of the guys on here use conversion kits. Case in point, I use a 35w 9006 kit. HID kits come in three wattage levels. The first is 35w. A 35w kit has the distinct advantage in that a separate harness to the battery is not needed. Pretty much plug and play. The second is a 50 or 55w kit. These have a more intense output but require a separate relay harness for the battery in order to provide consistent power.

Where it can get confusing is color temperature, referred to as K or Kelvin. The optional HIDs for the Edge are between 4150K and 4300K which is white with a very slight hint of blue or yellow. I have a 5000K which is white with a very small hint of blue. Most of us on here have 4000K - 6000K kits. The thing to remember is that when you go higher in color temperature, your light output measured in lumens suffers.

Most popular kits:

Morimoto HID kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3957 (Highest quality kit here)

DDM kits have a very hit or miss history around these parts

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I just bought my 2014 Edge Sport, unfortunately the headlights are halogen HIR2 type. I want to mount a HID conversion kit and I am very confused about the type I should use. I notice that the headlights have already place to mount the ballast (slim type), but I am confused about the conversion kit number that I need to use, from my understanding should be 9012, but I am not sure. My intension is to go with 35W /4300K.

Do you have any advise?

Thank you

If you looks at 9012 bulbs, they are 9006 size. Some edge owners on here have had better luck getting 9005 bulbs to twist and lock into the bulbs socket.

Basically you want a 9006 or 9005 kit to replace your HIR2/9012 ORM bulb.

35w/4300k would look OEM (near absolute white), as would 55w/5000k (just 15-20% brighter).

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

I have a 2013 edge and I put

1 x 9005: Morimoto Elite HID System (Elite9005)
Ballasts Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Kelvin 5000K
Wire Harness 9005
Wire Harness Type Standalone Can-Bus

From Retrofitsource.com

A friend bought a kit from DDM tuning which was cheaper than mine by a lot but the connectors were cheap and one broke.

On a side note the Can-Bus on my model is not needed. I don't get a warning light when it isn't being used.

My kit took about an hour to install and I deviated only slight from the retrofitsource procedure making it slightly easier to get the connectors through the dust cap to the lights.

Also contray to popular belief. The higher Kelvin lights do not put out more light. 4300k is the best and as you go up they loose light output.

Prinzll is absoutely correct on this topic.

Color-Temperature1.gif

I also had to adjust the lights after the install. People were flashing me but I just durned them down and equal amount one day. I will be going throught the adjustment procedure in the manual tonight.

Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. Most of the guys on here use conversion kits. Case in point, I use a 35w 9006 kit. HID kits come in three wattage levels. The first is 35w. A 35w kit has the distinct advantage in that a separate harness to the battery is not needed. Pretty much plug and play. The second is a 50 or 55w kit. These have a more intense output but require a separate relay harness for the battery in order to provide consistent power.

Where it can get confusing is color temperature, referred to as K or Kelvin. The optional HIDs for the Edge are between 4150K and 4300K which is white with a very slight hint of blue or yellow. I have a 5000K which is white with a very small hint of blue. Most of us on here have 4000K - 6000K kits. The thing to remember is that when you go higher in color temperature, your light output measured in lumens suffers.

Most popular kits:

Morimoto HID kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3957 (Highest quality kit here)

DDM kits have a very hit or miss history around these parts

Edited by budfrogs