H&R Spring install issue - 2013 Edge Limited

Question for any spring experts or guys who have installed lowering springs. I am not an, so bare with me!

Install went perfect but on the last spring (front left) we had springs compressed and were loosening the shock tower/mount and it came apart exposing the ball bearings, which we likely lost a couple. We put it back together and it seamed sealed but once everything was reconnected and I took it for a cruise the front left was rattling over bumps. Sounds similar to a bad ball joint sound, but not quite as loud.

Edited by shooter

Shooter:

Seems like your upper mount and seat is damaged and should be replaced. Sometimes the bearing will rust itself onto the shaft making the mount difficult to remove [though I find it hard to believe on a 2013]. Use a good penetrant like "KROIL" and wait a little bit to let it do its work. Be cautious if you're using a mallet to persuade the mount off the shaft.

It's also important the the bearing [via the mount] is seated on the shaft correctly, otherwise there may be play at the shoulder where the bearing is seated on the shaft resulting in a rattle or a pounding noise.

Good luck.

Ford Edge Front Struts.pdf

Edited by autom8r

Thanks a lot autom8r for the info.

We went back and took the front strut assembly apart again to see if the damper was not connected properly.

I have attached a couple pictures of the setup once we got it apart. I don't think it was seated perfectly, I also don't know if we lost a couple bearings or if it's suppose to have a little bit of space in the ring. We greased it back up again and clamped it together tight and bolted it back to the strut, and released the springs back in place.

I took it for a test drive and the clicking/tapping metal sound that i was hearing over small bumps disappeared but then there was a pulsating clicking sound with rotation of the wheel, would come and go, started more so when turning wheel to the left. We thought it was CV joint, so we took wheel off again and cv boot to make sure everything was engaged well, we made sure it was jammed back in tight and engaged, then put wheel back on and it was drastically better but still has a little clicking when the wheel is turned hard to the left...scared to mess with it anymore! We probably played with it more then we should have consider our level of expertise...which is low!

Any thoughts or similar experiences? Could the CV become slight disengaged? It is fine to drive now, just a little click on hard turn...should I worry about it?

post-2753-0-35820500-1365384714_thumb.jpg

post-2753-0-47993900-1365384818_thumb.jpg

Mine doesn't make any clicking noises at the end of travel on the steering, in either direction. I assume that when you removed the strut, you supported the control arm and spindle to prevent it from dropping. If not, you may have damaged the CV joint.

It will need an alignment, and hopefully you installed the new camber bolts. While you're in the shop, tell the tech about the spring mount and the what happened to the bearing when you installed the springs. The spring mount should've come out in one unit.

Gen-3-01412614438434b301b039251b.jpg

When I installed my springs I had to cut the dust boot on the front struts since it was lowered and rubbing and when I turned the wheel and hit bumps. You won't even have to pull it apart again, just pull the wheel and use a razor blade and cut off the bottom part of the cover that fixed my problem... Hope that helps...