Rear bumper lower cover questions

blazindave

2011 Edge SE

I'm thinking about replacing the black plastic piece along the bottom of the rear bumper because I've got a couple of dings, and have a couple of questions.

It's the black plastic piece above the exhaust pipes, but below the painted bumper part (see pic of similar vehicle here).

First, it appears it is item # 9 in this image:

MS11785.gif

Can anyone confirm that is in fact the part? Ford calls it the Rear Bumper Lower Cover...

I asked the dealership about it (didn't have the car at the time) and they indicated that it would need to be painted... which struck me as odd, as every one I have seen is the same black plastic, so why would it need to be painted? It is not a piece that matches the body color... Am I looking at the right part?

Also, my Edge does not have the tow package, but the part for the version with the tow package is a little less expensive and does not have a core charge (for some reason the one w/ the tow package does have a core charge). Does anyone know what the difference between the two is, specifically? Could I use the cheaper one designed for the tow package? If it's just got an indentation to accomodate a hitch, and would mount up to mine correctly, I would like to consider getting the cheaper one (also maybe beneficial if I ever decide to get a hitch installed in the future) without the core charge... Anyone know if this would work?

Also, it looks to be a fairly easy part to replace - although I haven't gotten down and inspected it closely. Has anyone replaced just this part of the bumper that can offer any tips/advice/etc?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I just replaced this myself. It does not need painting. There are a few screws on each side and one in the middle to remove. There is also one rivet on each side as well. I did not see a way to remove them, so i ended up just cutting them off. I replaced them with plastic panel clips found at auto part stores. After u remove the screws and two rivets, just start pulling outward. The rest is just snapped into place

It looks to me that you are right, #9 seems to be it.....as far as the dealership telling you it needs to be painted......when I had my Cougar years ago I was EXTREMELY active on the boards and knew probably more about the car than anyone at the dealership, including the service guys. There was multiple times I'd go in to order a part and they'd give me information that was wrong. I'm assuming who ever you talk to assumes that since its not the same color as your Edge (again, assuming that yours is not black) that they think it is supposed to be the same color as your vehicle.

• 1 month later...